• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water ship down

StuartR

Warren Scout
Reading it for the first time now and I love it! Have seen the film a lot but the book is just amazing.

Hazel rah, blackberry, bigwig such good characters

Love that book :love: look out for Blackavar! He's my favourite hence why my black rabbit is named after him :love:

I have to admit that I've never read it - so have now just downloaded it onto my Kindle. A bit apprehensive about reading it - but feel I that I should and just accept that I will probably cry:?

well i finished it, it was amazing! I even watched the film the next day just because I missed the book!

Bigwig is a legend, the bit in the warren when he's defending them from the general!

I now call Boey - Boey Rah as he's cheif rabbit of our house :)

The book is just excellent. It really is one of my favourites. :love: I love the rabbit language and their beliefs etc. I do think if buns could speak that is how they would be.

Just started reading this to my children. They are 9 and 11. They love it! We snuggle up on the sofa in Molly's room so she listens too.:love: My fav time of day. :love:

I loved this book, but I just couldnt bring myself to read the ending!!! how silly is that :roll: xx

See I don't think the end is sad but it's actually happy! I was really proud if him which sounds stupid! He's succeeded in saving them and building a warren for multiple generations and brought peace to efefra so he's lived the ultimate life and made so many stories that'll be told for ever!

The inspiration for the warren was next to a village called Kingsclere in Hampshire where I grew up, as we understood it. We used to drive there and read the book and got SO into it :D

The inspiration for the warren was next to a village called Kingsclere in Hampshire where I grew up, as we understood it.
IIRC, some (many?) years ago the copse it was based on was built on? Might have been the 'real' Farthing Wood instead, actually...

Aww I remeber seeing this at the time, such a shame xxx

See I don't think the end is sad but it's actually happy! I was really proud if him which sounds stupid! He's succeeded in saving them and building a warren for multiple generations and brought peace to efefra so he's lived the ultimate life and made so many stories that'll be told for ever!
I do agree, but trouble is it brings me to tears so I just couldnt do it! lol x

Close to my heart, but I've never actually read the book!!! I know my daughter (left home) has this so I'm going to borrow it and read it at last. I watched the film so many times, as a child and my parents back in the eighties had a book with film images I'd spend hours over. I actually live down the road from Watership down, in Newbury and my mum always told me the housing development in it was either Sandleford rise a very bad area here, since been regenerated or Wash common, another housing area (not needing regenerated!). It looks like the 'say no to Sandleford' battle of recent days has been lost, 10 minutes from my house. We frequently walk the dogs across the fields there. Thanks for reminding me about the book, I'm really looking forward to reading it and always think of the rabbits whenever I drive past Watership down, with the hill and the tree on the A34.

Back