• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at Home sycamore lodge hutch

Don't know if I'm just being blind but I can see the measurements?

Recommended hutch size is at least 6 foot x 2 foot, with a run about 8 foot (RWAF).

Weld mesh (19 or 16g) under the run, under the grass, or paving slabs depending on what surface you want!

I wouldn't reccomend the PAH hutches, don't think they're brilliant quality. Some alternatives are happyhutch company, ryedale, and (if I remember rightly!) 'The Hutch Man' on here.

I wouldn't recommend it - it's poor quality and offers little in the way of protection (from the elements and for a predator, as the wood is so thin and poor quality), and also won't last over time. Azucena's recommendations are great, and there's also the welfare hutch company and Boyle's pet housing too which are the 5 most recommended ones on here. It needs to be at least 6 x 2 x 2 with a run of at least 8 x 4 so avoid any on those websites which don't reach the minimum size. And bigger is always better! You want good quality timber and good mesh.

The digging out/in question definitely isn't a stupid one! The main 2 options are either placing it on slabs/patio (or placing slabs inside the run and around the outside) or meshing underneath. It's generally not recommended to mesh on top of the grass as it can affect the rabbits feet, so generally most people lift the turf and mesh underneath. You don't have to create an actual permanent patio with the slabs either - just placing them down will be fine and then it won't be a permanent thing so can easily be made back into the lawn by adding some turf :D

I've seen it in person, the hutch is 6x2 ft so meets welfare requirements but the run is 6x4ft so doesn't. Its better build quality than some of their cheaper hutches. It's by far the best of the pets at home hutches, but id recommend getting a better brand as pets at home hutches don't have a good reputation for lasting - they tend to need repairing or replacing quite quickly.

When I looked at it I also couldn't find a way to get inside the run for cleaning/catching bunnies, so that would be really inconvenient, and you'd have to lean over the run to get to the hutch. I reckon you could modify it with hinges fairly easily, but it's something to be aware of.

So basically, if you need one quick or have to use p@h, this one is their best, but if you can id look at some better brands like Happy Hutch, as it'll be better value for money.

I got an outdoor run on amazon to use only as a run as they live inside in a big indoor specially made run in the garage They were having a winter sale and I got about 40% off the price . I am planning on using the run as day time outdoor exercise area and bringing them back in at night. It only arrived a few days ago and I've not built it yet so I can't comment on whether I like it for quality etc. I did see hutches like the one you liked for a cheaper price on amazon.

Hello :wave:

Really good that you are researching first (I brought the first one that looked ok, but it wasn't good quality and wouldn't have kept them safe from foxes etc so got into expensive upgrading until I had the right set-up.)

What's your budget and requirements? How much space can you give to entire set-up? Assume outdoors not indoors?

Could you buy a shed instead and attach a good sized run to it?

Much more room and you can build different levels inside too :)

With the hutches like that, a lot of us have fitted the hutch backwards so the run is behind the hutch as that way you don't have to stand in the run to clean the hutch. Makes life much easier.

I have a happy hutch and a welfare hutch and would recommend either of them.

I have a hutch and an aviary from boyles pet housing and they're not cheap but they're really good quality and I would thoroughly recommend them.

I wouldn't recommend it - it's poor quality and offers little in the way of protection (from the elements and for a predator, as the wood is so thin and poor quality), and also won't last over time. Azucena's recommendations are great, and there's also the welfare hutch company and Boyle's pet housing too which are the 5 most recommended ones on here. It needs to be at least 6 x 2 x 2 with a run of at least 8 x 4 so avoid any on those websites which don't reach the minimum size. And bigger is always better! You want good quality timber and good mesh.

The digging out/in question definitely isn't a stupid one! The main 2 options are either placing it on slabs/patio (or placing slabs inside the run and around the outside) or meshing underneath. It's generally not recommended to mesh on top of the grass as it can affect the rabbits feet, so generally most people lift the turf and mesh underneath. You don't have to create an actual permanent patio with the slabs either - just placing them down will be fine and then it won't be a permanent thing so can easily be made back into the lawn by adding some turf :D

I'm a bit puzzled by this. Everyone is saying they are poor quality, no protection again elements etc, however most of the ones you have all recommended don't offer any covers, let alone spacially designed thermal covers, which PAH DO offer? The covers also mean that the buns AND the hutch is protected. These other recommended sites don't appear to offer any covers at all.

Am I missing something or does the Welfare Hutch setup only have those silly swivel latches to keep all the doors closed? Where are the safety bolts???????

I'm a bit puzzled by this. Everyone is saying they are poor quality, no protection again elements etc, however most of the ones you have all recommended don't offer any covers, let alone spacially designed thermal covers, which PAH DO offer? The covers also mean that the buns AND the hutch is protected. These other recommended sites don't appear to offer any covers at all.

You can of course buy covers for any hutch, there is apparently someone on eBay who makes them to measure. A good quality hutch won't need them as standard as they are a lot more weatherproof and as they are made from thicker timber they will be warmer. A decent hutch will probably just need a plastic cover over the front in winter, or even just a shutter kind of arrangement.

Am I missing something or does the Welfare Hutch setup only have those silly swivel latches to keep all the doors closed? Where are the safety bolts???????

Can't look as only on 3G but that is bad if there aren't any safety bolts. I'd have thought that was a basic necessity!

Bolts are one of the options (at additional cost). Presumably to give people the option of buying their own preferred bolts? I wouldn't like to think anyone just leaves the hutch with the turn button catches :shock:

Back