• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can a rabbit learn it's name ?

Mormordook

Young Bun
I have 2 girl bunnies rescued as babies . They are now about 6 months old and I am beginning to wonder if they are starting to recognise their names when I call them over. One seems better at it than the other I must add ! I am probably imagining things but wondered if there is any truth in this! :?:

I have 2 girl bunnies rescued as babies . They are now about 6 months old and I am beginning to wonder if they are starting to recognise their names when I call them over. One seems better at it than the other I must add ! I am probably imagining things but wondered if there is any truth in this! :?:

Absolutely :thumb:

My bunnies know their names. I can call one quietly and even the other one doesn't respond .. really sweet x

All my buns know their names. I was shocked the other day because I never thought Xena knew her name but I called her and she came running straight over. It is quite amazing how intelligent they are. They know when I shout one of their names that I only want that one bunny to come to me or to stop being naughty. If I want them all to come to me I making a tutting noise and say "babies!" and they get all excited and run over. :lol:

I am a first time bunny owner and I am so happy I have discovered this :) is there anything else that I can kind of train them to do ? They use a litter tray in their run already . Just wondering !

I am a first time bunny owner and I am so happy I have discovered this :) is there anything else that I can kind of train them to do ? They use a litter tray in their run already . Just wondering !

There's a huge amount of things you can train them to do! As simple as sitting on a table or something when you ask them to, or jumping over things. All you need to do is clicker train them, which is dead simple. There's loads of guides on the internet and it's really stimulating and interesting for the bunnies :thumb:

Although this isn't really about training your buns, this site is very useful and does give you tips about how to communicate with your buns and also gives you a chance to spend some quality time with them. :) I found it invaluable when getting to know my first bunny. x

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

There's a huge amount of things you can train them to do! As simple as sitting on a table or something when you ask them to, or jumping over things. All you need to do is clicker train them, which is dead simple. There's loads of guides on the internet and it's really stimulating and interesting for the bunnies :thumb:

Do you give them little treats for doing it, if so what do you give them?

Rabbits can be trained to do things but it takes time and patience and positive re-enforcement. Both Bob and Kizzy know their names, Bob will come when called, Kizzy won't! If Kizzy is going to come running it better be worth it - she'll look up but only come running if there's food to be had.

Although this isn't really about training your buns, this site is very useful and does give you tips about how to communicate with your buns and also gives you a chance to spend some quality time with them. :) I found it invaluable when getting to know my first bunny. x

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

Brilliant link ! I've tried to read it just now but there is too much to take in ! I need to bookmark it and digest this slowly ! Thanks so much x ����

Mine both knew their names. They just ignored me 85% of the time :roll:

When I told Boris off for something he used to stare at me for a few seconds, then repeat naughty behaviour (usually chewing wallpaper) and do a massive binky. Little sod :lol:

Mine both knew their names. They just ignored me 85% of the time :roll:

When I told Boris off for something he used to stare at me for a few seconds, then repeat naughty behaviour (usually chewing wallpaper) and do a massive binky. Little sod :lol:

:lol:

My late bunny Chester knew his name. He also recognised when I whistled him in the same syllables as the way I said his name. He would come out from anywhere when he was called. I would hear him playing upstairs under my bed, call him and hear him racing across the room and down the stairs to me, it was so funny!

I suspect my girls now just associate their name with it being food time!

Lopsy does, but he's a selective responder too XD He also knows "whass'is?!" as it usually means yummies. If he's already got yummies he'll usually ignore it too :)

I'm pretty sure my two are learning their names, they're still only young but whenever I say their names they definitely acknowledge it. Petra in particular seems to be able to tell her name apart from Cleo's, she seems to know I'm not talking to her when I call Cleo. It's very cute. :)

Amy knows her name. And remembers people. Last night we video called my brother in Thailand on my iPhone, and his fiancé wanted to see her so I took her through, then my brother called her name and on boy did her lop ears go forward! She sniffed and nudged at the phone. I'm fairly certain she both knew that is her name and it came from a person whom she hasn't seen or heard in ten months, though she didn't quite know where. She's also pretty ingenious when it comes to getting food.

Last edited:
Back