• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stuffing hay in mouth....

Dieselsmum

Warren Scout
Hi all.

My bun was acting a little strange this morning and j just wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

I came down to let him out this morning (he's a house bun) and to my surprise when I approached his cage, he was waiting at the door with a full, and I mean completely full, mouth of hay. It was lengthways in his mouth and was a good size handful. He was sitting there like it was a normal thing to do.

I opened the cage and he dropped the hay and went about his merry business.

I've heard of females buns doing this when nesting but he is a neutered male.

Anyone know why he would do this or was he just being a bit of a spaz lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umm.. interesting question, cos I was thinking of posting about this aswell..

My Forest Bun has been doing this, a few days ago, for about 2 days every time I saw him he was 'gathering hay'. Even when his mouth was So full of hay ( lengthways positioned, like your bun ) that he couldn't possibly fit another piece in, he would still shuffle around 'gathering' more.. this would go on for at least a minute or two after I'd entered there area... Forest seemed happy, at ease, and seemed to be enjoying himself.

Then, he must have made a decision that he had enough hay and suddenly ran into the buns sleeping area, where wifey bun then pushed it around and organized it.. twas tho she had said to him.. "be a good lad and gather me some hay"..

So, he had and she organized it into a nest ... both my buns are 12 months old, neutered last spring, have been happy together, always.

Could this be 'Spring Fever' behavior, where even neutered Buns get the 'spring dally' in their dance ( hops )... I ask myself.

So, yes... I have x

That's a lovely little picture you painted. Your buns sound like they have so much character [emoji4] Good on your female bun for keeping her husbun in line too [emoji6]

Well it doesn't sound like it's cause for concern which is good. I always expect the worse with my pesky bun! X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering the same as you though... but it was wifey bun that put my mind at rest... as in "give it me now, that hay is now mine to push around ! " :shock:

Anyone with any other ideas, or other buns that are doing it... do help Dieselsmum and me.

Dieselsmum : I always expect the worst from my Forest too... he's a 'confident little gentleman trouble maker' and a 'pusher of all boundaries' :roll: Gotta love him XXXXX

Last edited:
I was told Lopsy would make nests and line them with hay, in the dirt, when I got 'her'. Seems perfectly normal for a girl, and makes sense a dude would go and fetch for his wife, be she near or imaginary!

Maybe it is to do with hormones because he's neutered? Less male hormones, but same level of female hormones, so he's a bit confused and does things like this? I have no idea if that's right at all...

Answer anyone? My boy does this too and of course the girl, both are neutered.

Just buns being buns I would say, keeping themselves busy carrying out natural behaviours. Bless um.

Umm.. interesting question, cos I was thinking of posting about this aswell..

My Forest Bun has been doing this, a few days ago, for about 2 days every time I saw him he was 'gathering hay'. Even when his mouth was So full of hay ( lengthways positioned, like your bun ) that he couldn't possibly fit another piece in, he would still shuffle around 'gathering' more.. this would go on for at least a minute or two after I'd entered there area... Forest seemed happy, at ease, and seemed to be enjoying himself.

Then, he must have made a decision that he had enough hay and suddenly ran into the buns sleeping area, where wifey bun then pushed it around and organized it.. twas tho she had said to him.. "be a good lad and gather me some hay"..

So, he had and she organized it into a nest ... both my buns are 12 months old, neutered last spring, have been happy together, always.

Could this be 'Spring Fever' behavior, where even neutered Buns get the 'spring dally' in their dance ( hops )... I ask myself.

So, yes... I have x

That type of hormonal behaviour can occasionally occur in neutered Bucks. If it is just a 'one off' then it is generally nothing to be concerned about. But if it is an on-going issue, especially in older Bucks, then this would require Veterinary attention. There are some physical health problems that can present as 'hypersexual behaviour' in neutered Bucks xx

Back