• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much sleep is too much?

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
I am lucky enough to be able to spend a lot of time with Molly. She has a lovely room with a sofa and a radio so when the children are at school or out as they are today, I base myself in Molly's room.

I have noticed that lately she is sleeping more than usual, and I mean really DBF sleeping. I have been in her room all day today, catching up on some knitting, and have observed the following pattern.
Molly will sleep for about 50 mins. Then she will get up and explore her room for 5 or 10 minutes, this involves visiting her litter tray, eating some hay, having a drink and jumping up for a quick cuddle on the sofa. Then she will go back to her favourite spot, flop down and sleep for another 50 mins. Repeat, repeat etc...

Is this too much sleep? I'm worried she is not eating enough hay because she isn't awake for long enough. She is eating her pellets and veggies ok and pooping fine.
We are off to the vets tomorrow for her penicillin injection, should I mention it?

It would be worth mentioning. Could it just be she's awake at a different time? If her poop is still looking good that implies she's eating hay still - or have you noticed a decrease in the amount she's eating too?

I have noticed that they are darker than usual but had put that down to the readigrass. I will mention it tomorrow. Could it just be an age thing? She's 8.

This could be Alfrid, although he doesn't actually DBF - I've never seen him do that :shock: but today, for example, he had a short run around at around lunchtime then has been sleeping pretty much all day. I've looked in on him around every thirty minutes since his run around and have only once seen him doing anything else, which wasn't even eating hay :lol: His hay intake has decreased, which is a pain, but I don't really know what else I can do about it!

Back