• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Welcome to Angelico Valentine

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Advertised as free with the hutch - the advertiser did not know the sex - or the age really - though said they thought they had built the hutch about 6 months ago. Rabbit never been to vet obviously.

I was very concerned about what might happen to bun - and also some of the piccies on the advert (which someone on here had drawn attention to). Hutch very very dark, wrapped in plastic to stop water so very damp inside with condensation, home made though and in fact sturdy and even slightly larger than the petshop 3ft ones being 3.5ft.

In the end the couple were very nice but just had totally no clue about rabbits - to the extent of not even realising that there was anything that needed finding out - - but had taken on bun for young child (poss Xmas present???) and now a short while on were deciding it was a bad idea - think they genuinly realised that bun needed more than they were giving in way of attention/space/ etc.

Bun had straw and carrots and cabbage but never ever had hay or pellets (or muesli) - so very very underweight for age and poos very odd - no fibre at all in them and an orange colour - hutch stunk of cabbage and rabbit farted pure cabbage all the way home - we had to wind windows down!.

I estimated 4 months originally on size/shape/lack of sexual behaviour BUT since arriving here just 48 hours ago has suddenly started growing and also declared the sex!!! Testicles and testicle sacs that were not there (I have had quite a bit of experience of sexing young and old buns) when collected are now definitely there - as are instinct to chin and I think we might soon be heading for honking.

So 6 months old could be a possibility - though still mysterious as to how they could have had him for 6 months.

We took hutch to destroy.

So here is Angelico Valentine (was meant to be Angelica - but 24 hrs later became obvious it was Angelico) and Valentine for obvious reasons.

Here he is on arrival home - can see the backbone as so thin

IMG_1309.jpg

here he is now just 48 hrs later - seems about twice as large!!!

IMG_3413.jpg

Only trouble is we were hoping for a female to go with a male twosome who have been left widowed after two females sadly passed away earlier this year.:oops:.

For further thoughts on this and why rabbit not in rescue see my other thread.

He looks so skinny in that first photo :( poor bunny! Glad he's safe with you now! Do you think your male twosome would accept another male? I hope a nice easy solution can be worked out! He's going to be so much happier with you, what a lucky bunny :)

Also I got Harvey when he was 20 weeks and he had extremely large and obvious testicles :shock: I don't know how he was hopping around with those things attached to his rear end... so Angelico could still be younger than 6 months!

He looks so skinny in that first photo :( poor bunny! Glad he's safe with you now! Do you think your male twosome would accept another male? I hope a nice easy solution can be worked out! He's going to be so much happier with you, what a lucky bunny :)

Also I got Harvey when he was 20 weeks and he had extremely large and obvious testicles :shock: I don't know how he was hopping around with those things attached to his rear end... so Angelico could still be younger than 6 months!

I have had it happen before that a rabbit kept with not enough food or in poor conditions develops sexuality practically overnight once fed and given some space, hay, etc etc. Its almost as though they can delay maturity. Was hoping s/he would wait long enough to have a vaccine and then have a two week space before neutering - but present behaviour suggests may have to neuter and then vaccine - as honking is just a moment away methinks - and spraying will accompany!!!!

I have had it happen before that a rabbit kept with not enough food or in poor conditions develops sexuality practically overnight once fed and given some space, hay, etc etc. Its almost as though they can delay maturity. Was hoping s/he would wait long enough to have a vaccine and then have a two week space before neutering - but present behaviour suggests may have to neuter and then vaccine - as honking is just a moment away methinks - and spraying will accompany!!!!

:shock: overnight, that's very fast! Harvey was fully developed even in the store :lol: but the garden centre did feed him a correct diet and he had an ok amount of space too so I don't think he was treated poorly there at least!

Sounds like Angelico is very ready for his neuter :lol: I hope he doesn't start spraying before you get the chance!

He is beautiful! Very glad he's got a good forever home
How is he settling in?

He has discovered adolescence - say no more . . .

vaccine this week then 10 days later the plum fairy . .

he has put on 150gms in 3 days - :shock:

Last edited:
:love:.. Awwwww, nommy boy...Good to see he's filling out.. good luck with the plum Fairy xxxxx

Back