• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Treatment for a blockage?

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
Does anyone know what the treatment should be if a bunny is found to have a blockage but is too poorly for surgery?

TIA

Jo x

Last edited:
Thanks Tonibun.

Parsnipbun and Jane it was my bunny Dizzi, they told me that she had a blockage and impaction. Sadly she passed away, having read an article in Rabbiting On I suspect the vets gave her the wrong treatment!

Thanks

Jo x

After they told me she had a blockage they continued with gut stimulants and recovery food to syringe feed her.

After they told me she had a blockage they continued with gut stimulants and recovery food to syringe feed her.

Was the 'blockage' diagnosed via abdominal Xray ? Could they have meant that she had a GI impaction as opposed to a full obstruction ?

We first went to the emergency vet on Sunday afternoon they said it was GI Stasis so they gave her meds and we made an appt for the next morning. I gave her recovery food, the next morning they gave her more meds and gave me more recovery food. She went downhill later that evening so we went back at about 9pm, that emergency vet said that she had a blockage (diagnosed by feeling her abdomen), they gave her the same meds and sent me home again with recovery food. Next morning we went back and they admitted her, x-rayed her and confirmed it was indeed a blockage with impaction. By this time she was too poorly for any kind of surgery or anaesthetic. So she was given meds intravenously and when I went back to visit that afternoon (4pm) they said they'd been trying to feed her recovery food but she wouldn't have any but as she'd pooped they would carry on with the treatment and give her more meds and try again with the food. They rang me at 9pm to say that she'd passed away.

Oh and she'd only been to the vets in December for stasis, they kept saying it was her teeth, now I'm wondering if she could have had a partial blockage then!

In my understanding a rabbit with a blockage shouldn't be syringe fed. If she was pooing, however, it sounds like a partial blockage. I have no advice for you but I am sorry you lost your bun. :(

Thank you, according to the article I read this weekend, they shouldn't be given gut stimulants either as it can make the matter worse.

I'm absolutely devastated and now left feeling that I practically force-fed her to death!!

(according to the vets she'd done about 4 small mucous covered poops).

I would have expected them to x-ray her and give more intensive treatment when a blockage was initially diagnosed. Feeling an abdomen is an initial way to come to the diagnosis but unless they are absolutely sure it is not a full blockage then I wouldn't expect the rabbit to be sent home and for your to be syringe feeding. I would expect them to be giving intensive treatment with fluids and whatever appropriate. They may decide that gut stimulants are appropriate but I would only expect this as an inpatient at the vets with very close supervision - not when being sent home with the owner.

I wouldn't be happy with those circumstances either. Would you feel comfortable discussing her treatment with your vets? They might be able to give you an explanation that puts your mind at rest. Sorry for your loss, it's even more distressing when you have such huge what ifs to contend with.

Thanks Bunny Buddy

At the moment I'm just far too upset and angry to discuss with them.......Maybe in time.

I have contacted the RWAF and they have advised me of a bunny savvy vet in my area so I am going to switch to them (I did think that my current vet's was rabbit savvy, but clearly not)!

Oh I'm so very sorry for your loss :cry:

Unfortunately some vets don't realise what needs to be done at any particular time. This happened to me on one occasion and I lost my bunny.
You cannot blame yourself ...x

So very sorry. Poos can continue for several after a complete blockage as they are already in the system past the blockage.nHowever as you say feeding etc should not be done if it is a blockage and xray and surgery are urgent priorities . May I gently suggest that you locate a good rabbit vet now in case of getting another bun in future?

Really am so sorry for your loss

I think speaking to your vet is a good idea if you can, in time. Just because you will feel then as though you've done everything you could and not left anything unfinished.
But I wouldn't be too disappointed if it doesn't give you any definite answers.

I went through a very similar experience, and did speak to the vet. My conclusion was that that vet did what they thought to be best at the time, but that I don't personally believe it was correct. I don't think they had enough knowledge/training, but I will never be 100 % sure of this because I am not a vet!

You can't be expected to know though - they are the vet and they should know. You did your best in getting the bunny to them. I'm so sorry you lost Dizzi. I can tell you it does get easier. I don't think I will ever stop feeling guilty (aside from the vet issues, I didn't get Mango there as quickly as I should have), but you will come to accept what happened and remember what a good life they had overall.

Thanks everyone ....... I'm just totally heartbroken at the moment.

Maybe I could email the vet, that way I won't get angry or upset and I can make sure that I word it right .......... although I have no idea where to start.

Wish I'd known sooner, I would have questioned their decision at the time, but I just blindly followed their advice ....... possibly at the expense of my gorgeous little girl!

I feel dreadful!

I don't have any advice on the medical side, but I think l would advise writing to the vets or emailing them whilst they have her case fresh in their mind. You did the best you could for her, and I'm sending hugs xx

Thanks everyone ....... I'm just totally heartbroken at the moment.

Maybe I could email the vet, that way I won't get angry or upset and I can make sure that I word it right .......... although I have no idea where to start.

Wish I'd known sooner, I would have questioned their decision at the time, but I just blindly followed their advice ....... possibly at the expense of my gorgeous little girl!

I feel dreadful!

Please don't blame yourself - it's not up to you to question them! They should know! Your rabbit was obviously loved and had a nice life. It helped me to think that rabbits don't really care how long they live - they just want to be happy and pain-free while they are with us. It's too easy as humans to think 'they should have lived longer' and 'they'll never get to grow up/get married/have children' etc etc - obviously ridiculous when it comes to rabbits! If they're happy day to day, then they have had a good life. Less time isn't worse for them x

Back