• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Great forum! New owner

StarLoc

New Kit
Hi, new owner.....back last June, out for a walk with the dogs and found these 2 , they had been dumped in a cardboard pet carrier, what was left of it was still there with a pile of rabbit nuggets!
I walk this way every few days and another dog walker said they had been there a few days and seemed to think there dog chasing them was funny, less than 5 minutes walk away there are foxes and numerous cats have been killed by idiots training dogs for fighting.....a great safe place to leave a pair of rabbits

After the dog walker went, i set to the task of catching them....I knew nothing about rabbits at all, dog owner, stickinsect owner, cat owner, budgie owner but no rabbits ever!

After a few kicks of soil in my face the big one was captured, it was friendly just scared, i tempted it out with dandilions and got it to hop into a banana box, the smaller one was a git, it followed me home in the end following the rabbit in the box

No idea what type of rabbits they are....but they are quite big, brown and white one is biggest, big tabby cat cat size

rabbit2.jpg

rabbit1.jpg

rabbits.jpg

So....the hunt for a rabbit hutch, I found this site and found all the you dont keep them in a tiny hutch like everyone had always led me to believe on tv..... I have used this site most days to read how to look after them

Off to dobbies, bought a 2 story chicken house put it in the living room left the front off it so they could go in and out as they like they have the living room to hop around in, hay and food everywere....after a few days they took to using a litter tray

One would use a water bottle, one wouldnt, one that would liked to throw water bowls round........by August they both used the water bottle

They tend to eat hay lots and lots of it....and a little bit of bunny brunch, hay of diffrent brands....aparently they all taste different......well that what the rabbits tell me! , some days its a timothy hay day, sometimes it needs to be the bob martin one, sometimes excel , they have it all in a row...and eat the one they want!

They like dandilions in packs, blackberry leaves and apple twigs, herbal forage in a yellow bag.....

One will eat apple and broccoli ( i limit it but it will eat a whole 45p broccoli lump from asda....if it gets the chance ) and nuggets ,but the other no veg or fruit or nuggets, it will eat the squashed peas in bunny brunch apart from that they both eat hay and lots of it

They seem healthy enough , active enough, everything seems fine so i presume they are just fussy, they like the whole flopping on the floor making me think they are dead thing....

DSCF3595.JPG

DSCF3595.JPG

DSCF3549.JPG

DSCF3596.JPG

Last edited:
Wow you did a fantastic thing taking them in welcome to the forum. Your accommodation looks great they are lucky bunnies. Silly question but have you had them neutered and vaccinated?

Hey. I can't believe anyone would dump these beautiful two! They are very lucky buns to have met you!

Any names for them??

Both are female and will not get outside to meet any other rabbits , it cant happen we have so many doors in between, and they are in the upstairs of a 3 story house, i also have a fence now across the door to stop them getting behind it as they kept sitting behind it and might have got hurt

Vaccinations, again , they dont meet any other animals , I have an electric fly killer to attract any flys, fly screens on the windows so flys cant get in

While they are very laid back rabbits....i can stroke them they rub there noses on me , hop over for food and follow me round, hand feed them, they will climb on me and go assleep if i lie in on the pile of hay......but there is no way to catch them now they have grown!

I bought a plastic pet carrier incase of vet trips....I walked into the room to see if they would hop in.....
wooooshhh.......the grey one hides in one of its plantpots of soil....., the big one stares at me with it.....wobbling on the spot..... makes funny hissing noises and thumps its feet on the walls I walk towards it and it does circles at high speed thumping on everything....

I put the box away, the grey one becomes itself again and the other scowled for a few days, still took food from my hand but wouldnt let me stroke it...reversed off into corners and thumped if i tried

I presume its because they got dumped in one, I think a trip to the vet is best left out unless needed

Last edited:
Hey. I can't believe anyone would dump these beautiful two! They are very lucky buns to have met you!

Any names for them??

Flopsy...and Mopsy!

Honestly....difficult finding a name for them, i prefered bilbo and baggins but that was apparently stupid

Strange question! , has anyone any idea why one has red eyes in a photo most times, the other gets blue sometimes but never red?

they are so lucky to have been found by you :love:

female rabbits are at a very high risk of uterine cancer if unspayed, as well as being subjected to hormonal urges which must be very frustrating for them - so its definitely worth spaying them. vaccinating also is important even for indoor buns as VHD can be brought in on clothes or shoes.

to get them used to the carrier, you can leave it in their environment with the door open and put their pellets inside it. my two have learnt (to some extent!) to run into the carrier after pellet so they are easy to catch for the vet :)

they are so lucky to have been found by you :love:

female rabbits are at a very high risk of uterine cancer if unspayed, as well as being subjected to hormonal urges which must be very frustrating for them - so its definitely worth spaying them. vaccinating also is important even for indoor buns as VHD can be brought in on clothes or shoes.

to get them used to the carrier, you can leave it in their environment with the door open and put their pellets inside it. my two have learnt (to some extent!) to run into the carrier after pellet so they are easy to catch for the vet :)

Great advice :thumb:

Your bunnies are adorable :love:

They are gorgeous, well done for rescuing them :thumb: another vote for spaying here, it will help with litter training too as well as preventing cancer.

They are gorgeous. Well done!
Spaying and vaccinating vote here too. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

welcome tot he forum, they are lovely id echo what others have advised about spaying to help risk of uterine cancer, also vaccinating to, house bunnies can even catch the nasty diseases even if not outdoors, they look to have plenty of hay and a great home :love:

I can't believe that anyone would dump them! They are very lucky that you found them and took them in when you did but it seems like the feeling is mutual, you are obviously in love with them already and I don't blame you! They are adorable!

I can't believe you managed to catch them! If mine were on the loose somewhere I don't think I'd stand a chance :shock:
How lucky that you did though, it looks like they've found themselves a brilliant home. It's so great to see new owners on the forum trying to do the best thing, especially people like you who've fallen in to bunny ownership :wave:

:lol:

Another vote for spaying and vaccinating here, especially looking at that photo - gathering up nesting materials is very much a hormonal behaviour. I think my girls were about 7 months old when hormones kicked in. One of them started nest building and they fell out big time.

Poor bunnies what an ordeal but thank the stars they found you and all that you have done for them good on you! :)

Back