• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Information about pipes used in runaround please?

Hi,

I live in New Zealand and can't buy the runaround pipes from the UK sources. I want to try and make something here myself but need more details about the pipe. I see the dimensions mentioned, but what is it made from? Does it fold up, it looks like it bends, but how flexible is it? Is is smooth inside?

I have tried googling large bore corrugated/flexible pipe but have not had much luck so far.

Any information welcome. Thank you.

The normal size ones are flexible but the large ones are rigid. I have the large one. Not sure what else to say about it to be honest, it's made of thick plastic and is surprisingly light for the size.

They are corrugated on the inside too, which makes them different to normal land drainage pipes. They are very strong.

Yes they are corrugated on the inside and they are also covered in little tiny holes, presumably for drainage purposes so that they don't get water pooling inside them. The corrugations give the bunnies some grip if the pipe isn't laid completely flat and I suspect is also what allows it to bend somewhat (there are limitations to how much you can bend it but it's a reasonable amount). I also have land drainage pipes which are smooth on the inside and rigid, which I just use as enrichment. If you're connecting fixed things to other fixed things on a level surface or just want tubes for bunnies to run through, then land drainage pipes would probably be fine. If you want something flexible to connect a run that you want to be able to move, or if it isn't on a completely flat surface, then the more flexible, ridged ones would be better.

Hi, the pipes runaround use are 6" diameter flexible land drainage pipe, you can buy it in 100 meter coils for quite alot of money, or ask local farm or building sites if they have any. I got some of mine from my uncles farm where he uses to get water from a bore hole.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160mm-x-50m-Perforated-Land-Drainage-Pipe-complete-with-Coupler-/121552523693?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4d1851ad they are more flexible in longer sections, but are still quite stiff. the double walled pipes are completely ridged, but can be bought in shorter and cheaper amounts: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-wall-land-drain-ducting-underground-drainage-16-foot-lengths-solid-wall-/121566006017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item1c4de60b01

Hi, the pipes runaround use are 6" diameter flexible land drainage pipe, you can buy it in 100 meter coils for quite alot of money, or ask local farm or building sites if they have any. I got some of mine from my uncles farm where he uses to get water from a bore hole.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160mm-x-50m-Perforated-Land-Drainage-Pipe-complete-with-Coupler-/121552523693?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4d1851ad they are more flexible in longer sections, but are still quite stiff. the double walled pipes are completely ridged, but can be bought in shorter and cheaper amounts: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-wall-land-drain-ducting-underground-drainage-16-foot-lengths-solid-wall-/121566006017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item1c4de60b01

Just beat me to posting. :wave:

Personally I wouldn't get the twin wall version as it has a smooth lining inside the pipe. As other people said the single walled ridged version is the best as your bunnies can then climb up it if you need to put in on an angle. I've got mine twisted from their run up to the second level of their hutch, which is a climb of about 3ft on an angle. I have see the pipe put on really steep angles as well, some also vertical.

Also the 160mm (6") size pipe is for bunnies of upto around 4kg.

Thank you all, that's great information. Now I know it's corrugated inside and has holes I think I may have come across a few things that will do. My bunnies only weigh in the 2-3kg range so the 6 inch diameter should work fine. Hopefully I can interest hubby as well to make the "clamp" things that fit the pipe on at either end;)

Back