• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

disinfectant spray to clean water bowls?

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
is it ok to use normal petsafe cleaning spray to wash water bowls? i usually rinse it daily and sterilize it once a week with milton, then rinse very throughly.

i noticed the cleaning spray i use (confi2clean) says it's ok for feed bowls, but it doesn't mention water bowls.

so what do you all do? :wave:

I use disinfectant spray but rinse and rinse and rinse for water bowls or bottles. About 10 rinses!

we don't have a dishwasher.

i don't even like using milton really because even though i rinse it alot after, i still worry that something is left on there. and with bisc being so sensitive, it's a worry.

not sure what else to use though :? i think another spray i looked at (johnsons maybe?) said for feed and water bowls.

anything seems wrong to use when it's for water doesn't it?! :roll:

eta: when people use dishwashers, do they mean with just water? because dishwasher tablets contain bleach don't they?

I use Virkon, same as I use for hutch etc and make sure I rinse really well, or just wash with ordinary washing up liquid. Dishwasher is fine - everything gets rinsed.

he hasn't ever had any issues with the milton, so wondering why i worry :?! will probably stick with it for now. it's just so much easier when i clean the piggy bowl with spray.. just spray, rinse and dry. i guess i'm looking for a lazy way to do water bowls :oops::lol:

we don't have a dishwasher.

i don't even like using milton really because even though i rinse it alot after, i still worry that something is left on there. and with bisc being so sensitive, it's a worry.

not sure what else to use though :? i think another spray i looked at (johnsons maybe?) said for feed and water bowls.

anything seems wrong to use when it's for water doesn't it?! :roll:

eta: when people use dishwashers, do they mean with just water? because dishwasher tablets contain bleach don't they?

The only thing I have ever had happen was that I had some piggies with sensitive bladders who were sensitive to washing up liquid, even when rinsed. This wasn't just with their water bottles though. I have a feeling it was to a foaming agent or something, so I've always avoided any sort of cleaner that foams up ever since then.

Otherwise, I can't see why bottles and bowls for water are any more of a concern than their food bowls, if you rinse them well. If anything, they get more of a rinse, with the water in them! :D

I only ever wash food bowls with our normal washing up ie. detergent and water.
I've done this too, and have put mine in the dishwasher but then rinse with a sponge and clean water afterwards anyway. Don't use food bowls now. Water bowl is just wiped round with a sponge and cold running water once a week (indoors; more often outdoors): rinsed every time water's changed (usually 1x daily, sometimes twice if SOMEBUNNY has got foreign objects in there :evil:).

Back