• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Composting Fitch bedding and composting hay?

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Afternoon all!

Some questions for the budding gardeners of you. I buy fitch bedding for my bunny litter trays:

1) has anyone put fitch on their compost heap / in compost bin?
2) if yes, how long does it take to break down? would you recommend it?
3) have any of you put hay in your composter/on your garden beds (along with the poos)?
4) Have you use hay/poos/fitch in other ways i.e. to mulch a bed / cover veg beds over the winter etc?

Basically I am on the process of making veggie and flowers beds in my garden. I want to use bunny poos to compost where I can but obviously they're tangled up with hay and fitch from their litter boxes so if I don't have to pick them out would be helpful!

Thank you to anyone with advice. (This may/should be in general chat and happy for it to be moved if needs be)

I've really struggled with compost bins because compost needs to be turned regularly - very difficult in bins. Yes, hay & poo can go in but I've found you need to mix with layers of 'brown' stuff to stop the hay clogging together and not breaking down. I've certainly put neat poos straight on to the garden.

Thank you both! I have messaged Fitch to ask them how long it would take to decompose so hopefully they will get back to me. I will give it a go anyway and see how I get on! If any one else has any experience it would be great to hear it

Back