• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm a Failure - Can Anyone Help?!

*Spider*

Wise Old Thumper
I've been clouded with guilt the day Ralph my EC baby conti died. Roger is so very alone and seems plain miserable. I booked him in for his op last Weds but the vet was extremely unhappy with his breathing due to his snuffles which I think has been exasperated since Ralph's passing.

He refused to operate (incisor removal), after having his incisors trimmed so many times he physically won't let anyone do them and suggested that it would be kindest to put Roger to sleep.

I came away with anti-biotics that I have been forcing Roger to have these - it has now got to the point where I can NOT administer him medication. I physically can not do it (I've had rabbits for years and have never had a struggle). He gets incredibly stressed out - can feel his heart racing then he goes and crouches in the corner. He had 5 days of his anti-biotics and his breathing is still just as bad.

His teeth are bending into the back of his mouth and he is in incredible amounts of pain, he is lonely, scruffy (Ralph used to take great care of him) with an awful chest (can hear him breathing from the other room.)

To make things worse my horse is off to Newmarket this Sunday for a bonescan and operation and working 9-5 with 2 dogs and 2 horses is becoming impossible.

I don't know what to do. I love Roger, I really do. I have spent so much time, effort, money, blood, sweat and tears on him but I'm not sure I can physically do anything else for him.

Do I put him to sleep? Do I rehome him? I wan't to carry on fighting for him, I want him to have his teeth out and get him a new buddy - but I can't see how.

Help :(

Re the abx, could he have them via injection rather than orally. Might be a lot less stressful for him. It may be that his respiratory problems are related to his dental problems- ie elongated tooth roots.

I am sorry things are so difficult at the moment :cry:

You're not a failure! You are having a really s***** stressful time though. I've got 2 on long course antibiotics at the moment which has been a pain but thankfully after x rays have been switched to injectable meds which is far less stressful for them and me (as Jane said).
Sorry you are having to go through all this xxx

Why is the vet refusing to remove his incisors? Is it because of his breathing?
Surely if the other option is pts, it's worth risking it. I don't mean this to sound harsh but if one of my animals has the choice of only a risky op or pts and have the chance of a good quality life after it..... I risk getting the op, if they die at least we tried and it was going to be the only other alternative anyway.

Surely if the other option is pts, it's worth risking it. I don't mean this to sound harsh but if one of my animals has the choice of only a risky op or pts and have the chance of a good quality life after it..... I risk getting the op, if they die at least we tried and it was going to be the only other alternative anyway.

I dont think the Vet is refusing to do the op' at all, just not until the infection is under control. But Roger is now extremely stressed by all the hands on care, especially anything to do with having his mouth messed with as will happen if giving the abx orally. I am sure Hetty would never just PTS without looking for all possible alternatives. Hence her post asking us for advice :)

Hetty, I would see if the Vet will agree to you giving the abx by injection, analgesia can be given that way too so that would avoid having to go near his mouth. Is he able to eat enough to keep his GI tract moving ?

I am really sorry to hear that Obi has problems too. You must feel over-whelmed at the moment. But you will do what ever you can for Roger, as you always do for your animals xx

I never suggested she would just PTS and I was explaining my way of looking at things if my vet was refusing to do an op due to risks. My mistake if it was being held off until the infection is under control, it was not how I read it.
Of course if it's a case of getting the infection under control, injections are the way to go, assuming he is still managing to eat.

:( So sorry you're having such a rough time. I can't offer much in the way of advice but what Jane is saying makes a lot of sense. As an alternative can the vet not keep him for a bit to get the infection under control and give him fluids and have all the meds on hand in case his gut slows down, just till he's ok to have the surgery? That option might not be viable financially I know but if he's insured or you're not worried so much about the money I thought it was worth suggesting.

ETA: You are NOT a failure. You are doing everything in your power for the health of that bunny and he's very very lucky to have you on his side trying to nurse him better. x

Last edited:
Sorry you are feeling so low hun. Rabbits can do that to you. Hope things improve soon. Jane has some great suggestions. :)

I agree with Halfpenny. I would rather the op was risked than PTS without trying. If his breathing can be stabilised, then that's a much better position to be in. It may, given the circumstances though, not be an option to have lengthy treatment with ABX which he so obviously hates. Injections may make things easier and if it's possible to hold off doing the op until they have been tried, that seems worth a shot.

Good luck with everything. As I've said on another thread, you are doing your utmost best and you can't do better than that xx

Agree with all of the above. Chin up chicken - you're a lovely person who does what's best for her animals and you have NOT failed them.

I was in a similar situation years ago and know how you feel. Try and take some time out for yourself, you will be able to think so much clearer. I think Jane has offered some great advice and you would know you would have done your best. Stay strong and know you are not alone.

Back