• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay tomorrow!! Advice please :)

pudgey420

Warren Scout
Hey guys

My baby willow has her spay tomorrow and Im not gonna lie im pretty nervous. :(
Anyone got any advice for me? what to expect? success stories?
Any thing really please! :D

Got some critical care and fibreplex.. gonna ask for some metacam to take home! anything else?!!

thanks in advance

Me too in terms of nerves, but my bun was okay after her spay. The vet didn't give me any painkillers to use at home. The op was in the morning and I picked her up in the evening, she was little quiet/ sleepy when she got home. She had a small amount of food but didn't eat her usual amount that evening. The next morning she ate a bit more and by the afternoon was eating regularly. The vet advised having quiet time for bun when she came home and to restrict the space available so she didn't run about and hurt herself. The vet also said not to use bedding that could stick to the incision, so to avoid straw / shavings. The vet suggested using newspaper as bedding for the first few days. Because they shave your bunny make sure she has somewhere warm to snuggle up when she comes home. Good luck and I hope little willow is okay :thumb: Oh and don't forget to feed her as normal before the surgery i.e. there's no need to fast before the operation, as you probably know fasting is dangerous for bunnies.

I would definitely make sure you get metacam, at least a few days worth. Doughnut had 5 days worth and antibiotics and fibreplex. Think that was it as it was ages ago. If you were having your ovaries taken out you would certainly want pain relief a day later.

I would get fresh herbs and can you pick some grass to tempt her to eat. Rabbits don't normally want hay or pellets they want fresh stuff when feeling under the weather and you need to keep her eating. If you have her back and she hasn't eaten for 24 hours then take her back. I know I panicked when Doughnut hadn't eaten and nearly took her in but the following morning she started to eat and that's when I had to start with the pain relief as the injection lasts 24 hours.

Can you get her a bowl to drink out with, it encourages them to drink more and also they then don't have to stretch their stitches. Doughnut felt fine when she came back, she jumped up on a small shelf. I nearly had a heart attack as was worried about the stitches. I was told to give her 24 hours hutch rest so that she wouldn't jump around so that's what I did.

I don't know how you are about syringe feeding her medicine but I found that Doughnut loved a bit of weetabix, so crumbled a bit up and put her meds on that and she ate it. I then didn't have to pick her up to syringe feed her and it was less stressful for both of us as she needed her meds to keep her painfree.

Hey guys

My baby willow has her spay tomorrow and Im not gonna lie im pretty nervous. :(
Anyone got any advice for me? what to expect? success stories?
Any thing really please! :D

Got some critical care and fibreplex.. gonna ask for some metacam to take home! anything else?!!

thanks in advance

Just seen this!

Has Willow had her spay? Has all gone well? Best vibes for a speedy recovery x

Hey guys!

Thanks for all your advice :)

Willow is home and she is just sleepy. She hasnt eaten yet but they syringe fed her before we left the vet so hoping she will perk up and eat soon.

Just leaving her to it at the moment but she has all her favourites - kale basil mint fenugreek crunchies apple hay readi grass fibafirst sticks and pellets so hopefully somehing takes her fancy soon?!

The vet gave her an injection of metacam but i asked for some home too as a precaution i can give her some tomorrow with her breakfast hopefully!

So far she seems a bit floaty still - we picked her up about 4.15 so not that long ago.

SO happy to see her <3 was worried sick all day as mamas do!

Any advice on what to do now? how can i encourage her to eat?

Iv wafted some basil under her nose but she jus moved away :(

thanks youuu xxx

How is Willow? Eating more?

I've got my girl done the spay 2 weeks ago, and she is fine now. After surgery, she only interested in kale, nothing else and she drives me quite worried.. On the first few days, I have to spoil her feeding kale to ensure she's not starved, but at the same time I need to force her to eat a bit of hay. Once she looks more active, I gradually reduced the amount of kale, so she slowly heads to the hay. Now I completely stopped the kale to get her back in the habit of eating more hay..

Back