• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

All your vibes needed please—HE'S HOME :D

Boots

Mama Doe
Elmo is about to be operated on, to remove a suspected blockage. I am a mess with worry.

He's been given pain relief, IV fluids and they've X-ray'ed his tummy and it's "very dilated". His glucose is also very high.

Please send him all your "get through surgery and get better soon" vibes, we are all so worried and love him so desperately. :cry: I can barely see for crying.

Last edited:
I've been there only three weeks ago, it was terrifying. I do hope Elmo does as well as little Gracie did.

Sending loads and loads of vibes.

Thank you for your replies, we really appreciate your vibes. Bunny Buddy, have you got any advice for post-op care from Gracie's recent experience? I'm sorry she was so unwell, but thrilled to hear she's okay now—I needed that hope!

Elmo is a stubborn bunny with so much life and character. The girls (Chinook and Illy) are there with him, so he will have had lots of snuggles before surgery :love:

I haven't heard yet, so I assume no news is good news. I am sending him all my love and care and "get better soon" vibes. He has to make it.

Also, I never really post photos of my buns, so I will try and find a good one to upload. In the meantime, Elmo is my avatar on here. He's looking through the cat flap at me :lol:

Gracie did really well with her actual recovery but she just wouldn't eat. it was actually about 5 days before I got her home so they did all the aftercare for me. My vets always keep bunnies in a while after surgery anyway. I would expect about 24 hours in 'intensive care' then maybe another 24 hours as an inpatient at minimum, but then I know my vets are really thorough before letting patients home, so it may be less, especially if you live fairly close to the vet surgery.

When she was home it was only really a case of making sure she was eating and checking the wound was clean every day.

Last edited:
Sending lots of vibes for Elmo xxx
2 of mine are in today having x rays and a procedure and I'm waiting for a call too so I'm with you (hugs) x

Sending lots of vibes for Elmo xxx
2 of mine are in today having x rays and a procedure and I'm waiting for a call too so I'm with you (hugs) x

A huge good luck to your babies as well! *hugs* let me know when you hear. I go from being relatively calm, to a sobbing mess. *deep breaths*

Come on Elmo wee man, sending you bunny vibes wishing you back to health xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for the vibes, please keep them coming :love:

I am thrilled to say Elmo is through surgery and is slowly waking up. However, the vet has said she won't be happy until he's eating, pooing and hopping around, as they're such sensitive creatures.

He had what they think was a hairball close to his stomach, which they've massaged through to his large bowel. He's on two kinds of pain relief, antibiotics and IV fluids. She said he had a lot of water in his stomach, which she massaged and she said it was travelling through his small intestine, so that's good.

His blood glucose is still high, so we need this to come down ASAP. Please keep Elmo in your thoughts and wish him better. I feel confident in my vets abilities and know that Elmo is a fighter.

Come on Elmo, we all need you so much xxx

Back