• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to keep a single house bunny entertained?

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
Rascal is still really sad since Dizzi passed away but we have to wait a couple more weeks before his new friend comes to stay (she was only spayed last week).

In an evening he's fine as me and hubby are there, he quite happily plays and interacts with us.

In the mornings though he is very quiet and sometimes won't come out of his box, he looks so sad.

He has one of those bunny cardboard castle things, tunnels, weave-a-balls, boxes, things to throw etc but he just ignores them all and sits in his box during the day (I know they snooze in the day but he was always very active in a morning as well).

Any ideas? It breaks my heart seeing him so sad!

Thanks

Jo x

Aww bless him :cry: how about a treat ball to feed him his pellets in? Boots loves his jingle ball, a plastic ball with a bell inside, he didn't bother with it until I posted a treat inside, now he chases it all over.

when we lost elmo's first bunny friend, twix, i did clicker training with him every evening just to give him a bit of mental stimulation and some bonding time with me :) would that maybe help?

Aww bless him :cry: how about a treat ball to feed him his pellets in? Boots loves his jingle ball, a plastic ball with a bell inside, he didn't bother with it until I posted a treat inside, now he chases it all over.

Oooh he used to have a treat ball yonks ago, not sure what happened to it. Good thinking, I'll give it a go, thanks.

when we lost elmo's first bunny friend, twix, i did clicker training with him every evening just to give him a bit of mental stimulation and some bonding time with me :) would that maybe help?

Clicker training is a really good idea, I clicker trained my budgies years ago ..... not sure how to start with a bunny though. Did you follow info specifically designed for bunnies or did you just use general clicker info?

I have a single house rabbit, but he is very food orientated and will not readily move for anything else! He does find minor reshuffles of the room very stimulating, and also has a couple of soft toy friends.

Lopsy's got lots of food-based toys: his half-scoop of pellets gets distributed into at least three cardboard tubes blocked with hay, a hanging fat ball feeder stuffed with hay, his hay-tray or cardboard box occasionally, and a treatball. I've just started shredding his cabbage and hiding it in his hay tray. He also gets rose sticks (sometimes with leaves, oooh! :roll:), broccoli on strings, that sort of thing. He is in his run all the time though, not free-range, so the hay-based mess is (supposedly) contained!

Thanks all, some fab ideas there. We reshuffled the room round a little last night and he did some exploring.

Glad its weekend so I can spend some more time with him (might try the clicker training).

Hopefully only 1 more week (ish) to go now before his new friend comes to stay! x

Back