• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Nutrition Survey for my University Project

Mairii_x

New Kit
Hi everyone!:wave:

I am a fourth year veterinary nursing student. As part of my final degree honers project, I am conducting a study on what owners feed their pet rabbits. It would be amazing if some of you could take 5 mins and complete my survey. https://survey.napier.ac.uk/n/rabbit.aspx

Thank you so much in advance!!

Mairi

Hi everyone!

I am a fourth year veterinary nursing student. As part of my final degree honers project, I am conducting a study on what owners feed their pet rabbits. It would be amazing if some of you could take 5 mins and complete my survey. https://survey.napier.ac.uk/n/rabbit.aspx

Thank you so much in advance!!

Mairi

Done. I have rabbits that are outdoors and rabbits that are indoors but the survey only allowed one of those options so I said outdoors and six of them are (ie the majority).

Done good luck. My only thoughts would be that as most people on here care for their rabbits your data won't be a true reflection of rabbit care UK wide

I've done it - good luck with your project! I'm writing my dissertation at the moment so I can relate.

Just one thing...I put "hardly ever" for 'grass' and 'other veg' when really I meant 'sometimes'. But there wasn't an option for that.

I tried but found it too hard to answer accurately and seems pointless to give inaccurate info :( sorry!

I know it's time consuming but if you can, maybe give Mairi details about the difficulties with the survey so she can adjust it - it's surprisingly difficult to write a really sturdy questionnaire with no ambiguities.

(Not that I've learnt that this week from experience or anything....)

Done. I have rabbits that are outdoors and rabbits that are indoors but the survey only allowed one of those options so I said outdoors and six of them are (ie the majority).

This for me too. I have answered for the indoor buns.

If it's something that would be helpful to you I think the survey needs to account for quantities of food rather than just frequency. I feel pellet food often but only an egg cup full per day, so it's slightly ambiguous.

I wasn't able to add an 'other' category to the 'what do I look for in a pelleted food' section as whenever I used a number over 4 it wouldn't let me proceed. Not a major thing really though.

And I had to click 'yes' for have any of my rabbits had any dental problems, but the dental problem my rabbit has had was a jaw abscess that was unrelated to diet and more than likely just caused by bad breeding - she's a lop with very wonky teeth on that side.

Have answered nonetheless though :D

done :wave: there was no option in the 'what do you feed your rabbit' part for herbs or forage, which is the majority of my rabbits diet other than hay...so i feel like my answers aren't truly representative

Done good luck. My only thoughts would be that as most people on here care for their rabbits your data won't be a true reflection of rabbit care UK wide

This.

Also in choosing a food, composition is the only factor I look at, but it wouldn't let me continue with just that.

I also had to tick that a rabbit has had dental problems.
He had molar spurs which were burred, shortly after he came to me. I got him as an unwanted pet at 18 months and this was I believe due to his previous diet (ad lib pellets) in his previous home. This hasn't reoccurred and it's been 2 years.

Just noticed there are two threads of this! And in another someone has mentioned QUANTITY of pellets needing to be included. I'd just like to reiterate that! Humphrey had pellets daily in his old home, and his has pellets daily now. What has changed is the amount of pellets (and composition).

Last edited:
Hi :wave: also done. I'd just like to reiterate Azucena's points above regarding the quantity of pellets: I ticked "often" for that as she has them each morning, but only a very small amount (ie 5 SS pellets). I think "often" might be mistakenly misconstrued as a lot. Also like Azucena's bun, Scrappy had dental problems when she came to me and I've also had to move her onto a very high fibre diet to address that. Might be worth taking into account bunnies that have been adopted and who come with existing dental problems and a history of poor diet.

I've just completed it. I agree there were not many choices on the multiple choice questions.. but, there was always a box to write in, at length, at the bottom of the page.. I went on and on and wrote everything in the 'other box' in order to explain and build upon my answers.
Seemed to have been accepted okay.. I've basically written small essays, in the 'other' boxes.. so even though the multiple choice questions were basic.. the opportunity to build upon them was there.

Back