• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What hay?

Loulou8425

Warren Scout
Hi all.

Just wondered what your buns diet is made up of? I'm new to rabbits and I keep hearing conflicting stories. TIA
Hazel

I think it's generally about 80-90% hay, usually Timothy hay, unlimited ie topping up whenever it gets low, with a little pellets, some say an eggcup but I don't know how much that actually is so, because my bun is a big girl, I give just enough to cover the bottom of her bowl twice a day, and the rest of their diet should be fresh, rabbit safe greens. Or at least this is what I know!

Agree with the above. At least 80% hay, and the rest fresh green leafy veg (NOT lettuce) with a tiny amount of pellets. Mine have no more than a tablespoon of pellets each per day.

I've never found a rabbit yet who loved the 'compressed in plastic' bales of hay bought in pet stores. I get great quality timothy hay from www.timothyhay.co.uk or else there's www.thehayexperts.co.uk who do pretty much every type of hay there is - Oxbow is a good brand.

I get my rabbits hay from hay for pets; ings hay and timothy and rye. They love them both. I also get given a bale of organic farm hay each month (yippee) which they also love.

Mine have a handful of pellets each every day (belgian hares get two handfulls each) plus some fresh grass and a few leafy greens.

Hay, hay, hay, hay.

He also has readigrass and fresh greens or 'weeds' foraged from the garden.

He has 12 pieces of Science Selective dried food a day as well.

Back