• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm wondering about treats?

My question is about frequency and what kinds of treats do you feed your bunnies? How many times a week?

Hugo really loves treats - he goes completely BONKERS whenever he hears the rustle of a packet - but I know that rabbits are prone to dental problems ... I was thinking maybe 3 times a week at most and a couple of pieces at a time?

He loves these fruity treats from Pets at Home, and alfalfa bale/cubes, but I'm worried that they might be quite sugary and fatty.

Any advice on the best - healthiest but still tastiest, really - treats to feed would be great. If anyone could recommend a particular brand that I could purchase online or at shops (in UK), that would be great.

Thanks guys, 😚😚 x

Mine all adore fresh corriander and parsley and I have heard many people on here saying that their rabbits go mad for fenugreek crunchies (from the hay experts I think) although mine werent too fussed.

Your rabbit looks gorgeous!

Hi Samantha :wave: I usually give Scrappy one fenugreek crunchie per day as a treat (you can get them online from the Hay Experts). Otherwise a small piece of apple or pear instead (about half a teaspoon worth). I prefer not to give her the Pets at Home fruit drops as they contain a lot of sugar and include milk as an ingredient.

Hugh is just a gannit so he gets pellets as treats. I usually fill his egg cup worth for the day in the morning when I'm doing his hay and a little veg, and he gets the odd pellet when I feel he's been a good boy or just want to rub his nose when he's being offish. Then at the end of the day he gets the rest for dinner :) He usually only gets 3 or 4 a day at most and the rest for his dinner.

Hugh is just a gannit so he gets pellets as treats. I usually fill his egg cup worth for the day in the morning when I'm doing his hay and a little veg, and he gets the odd pellet when I feel he's been a good boy or just want to rub his nose when he's being offish. Then at the end of the day he gets the rest for dinner :) He usually only gets 3 or 4 a day at most and the rest for his dinner.
I do much the same with Lopsy: he does get the occasional treat, like when he's won a competition :roll: or someone's had fruit and left substantial cores, but otherwise not!

My buns get.. fenugreek and coriander for treats, with very occasional pellet-sized pieces of apple or carrot.. usually the apple skin bit, or tiny bit of carrot with tops.
They have plenty of hay and a small handful of pellets a day...

ooh.. almost forgot.. my Buns are going CRAZY over the new grass growing in my garden, now spring is coming..!

Lovely, silky, fresh shoots :love: They are barely even looking at anything else at the mo.

I pluck it fresh, gently.. and within half an hour of presenting it to the buns, it's gone, and my Buns are my best friends for it! Oh Yeah! :thumb: X

Last edited:
Mine all adore fresh corriander and parsley and I have heard many people on here saying that their rabbits go mad for fenugreek crunchies (from the hay experts I think) although mine werent too fussed.

Your rabbit looks gorgeous!

All that sounds rather unusual - a bit different from what I would imagine to be typical treats? How often do feed them treats?

Thank you very much! He knows it as well I'm sure! ���� xx

Hi Samantha :wave: I usually give Scrappy one fenugreek crunchie per day as a treat (you can get them online from the Hay Experts). Otherwise a small piece of apple or pear instead (about half a teaspoon worth). I prefer not to give her the Pets at Home fruit drops as they contain a lot of sugar and include milk as an ingredient.

Hey! You're now the second to recommend fenugreek crunchies - think that I'll give them a wee go. Yeah, I steer clear from them too. I don't fully understand Pets at Home treats, some look really harmful and unhealthy. The ones I choose are the organic kind, but I still thought that I would ask around from people on here. Thanks for your input �� xx

We feed ours our own treats (of course haha)

They tend to have two treats each every other day.

You "own treats" hmm? �� Haha! Was just imagining a great big bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk there ... �� Thanks for replying, every other day is what I was thinking too xx

Aw yeah, I could give Hugo an extra pellet here and there. I never thought about that. He loves those too! Whilst we're on a subject of pellets, should one large scoop do for a meal? Hugo gets pellets in the morning for brekkie, fresh veg for dinner and plenty of hay and water in between. Just wondering if you think I should give him one scoop or two for his main meal xx

My buns get.. fenugreek and coriander for treats, with very occasional pellet-sized pieces of apple or carrot.. usually the apple skin bit, or tiny bit of carrot with tops.
They have plenty of hay and a small handful of pellets a day...

ooh.. almost forgot.. my Buns are going CRAZY over the new grass growing in my garden, now spring is coming..!

Lovely, silky, fresh shoots :love: They are barely even looking at anything else at the mo.

I pluck it fresh, gently.. and within half an hour of presenting it to the buns, it's gone, and my Buns are my best friends for it! Oh Yeah! :thumb: X

You say pluck the grass - not cut it? I'm just confused as to how much of the grass there should be. Like, all the way down to the dirt, but washed obviously afterwards? Do you not worry about anything on the grass? Thanks xx

Aw yeah, I could give Hugo an extra pellet here and there. I never thought about that. He loves those too! Whilst we're on a subject of pellets, should one large scoop do for a meal? Hugo gets pellets in the morning for brekkie, fresh veg for dinner and plenty of hay and water in between. Just wondering if you think I should give him one scoop or two for his main meal xx

The recommended amount is an eggcup full of pellets per bunny per day :thumb:

You say pluck the grass - not cut it? I'm just confused as to how much of the grass there should be. Like, all the way down to the dirt, but washed obviously afterwards? Do you not worry about anything on the grass? Thanks xx

You can cut the grass with scissors for the bunnies, but you shouldn't feed them grass that has been cut with the lawnmower, as it can ferment. It gets very hot when you put it in a pile. I either cut mine with scissors or just pull some by hand, I don't wash it if it's come from my own garden, I don't use any chemicals on it.

My bunnies love fenugreek crunchies, or home made treats, I buy them from my local animal rescue, BARC.

You "own treats" hmm? �� Haha! Was just imagining a great big bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk there ... �� Thanks for replying, every other day is what I was thinking too xx

Hehe not quite, though I'm sure if rabbits could eat chocolate my big bunny would be all over it (he's a tad greedy). I own a rabbit treats business HungryBun so I'd be hypocritical to feed my two anything other than my own brand haha :lol:

Mine get one of the following each as a treat once a day - a digestive tablet either Oxbow or the papaya ones, a piece of dried pineapple or papaya or a piece of fruit such as banana or a fenugreek crunchie

Back