• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flickering eyes - no ec

weedug

Mama Doe
What could be the cause if a rabbit's eyes were flickering in the evening only after being lifted up? I think that Timmy's eyes were moving last night when I put him in. I could see the white of his eye, which is what made me look. And it only happened when he put his head down.

He is fine today, so far. I don't know if it is just me panicking after little Fluff and his thymoma, or if it is something to worry about.

Checking the internet, it seems to make a difference which way they were flickering, but I can't remember.

I was going to keep watching him today and especially tonight, and get him to the vet if it happens again. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas on the cause. Timmy has ongoing eye ulcers that don't respond to treatment, and is on high dose of metacam because of it. He is 4+, more likely about 7.

Last edited:
Nystagmus (flicking eyes) is usually indicative of some sort of peripheral or central vestibular disease.Middle ear disease and EC being two conditions that can include nystagmus as a symptom. Positional nystagmus, which sounds as though what you have witnessed, is more likely to be EC related.

Nystagmus can also occur as a result of some metabolic disorders and some eye conditions.

Thanks for the replies. I got Timmy in tonight and his eyes were fine, and they have been fine all day. I don't want to rush him off to the vet for nothing.

I was thinking of starting him on Panacur anyway, and if I see anything again I will take him in to the vet. He is already on metacam.

Why did I not trust my gut feeling?

Timmy was lethargic this morning when I went to feed him and not interested in his food. I gave him his usual medicines because he stops eating quite regularly, but this time he was shivery and it didn't feel like a "normal" not eating episode.

He has been seen at the vet and he thought perhaps ec, a brain problem, or liver problem. He didn't think Timmy was presenting as if it were an inner ear infection. Timmy has been admitted to go on fluids, get syringe fed, and to get bloods taken. His tummy felt empty but not bloated, and the vet was concerned at how unresponsive he was. They will phone later to let me know how his is doing. If he hasn't picked up I will need to transport him 20 miles to the overnight facilities.

Any spare vibes would be appreciated.

Timmy has responded well and started eating again shortly after he was put on fluids. He is passing poos, but has only passed a few. They are thinking of sending him home tonight, if he continues to eat and pass poos. I have to go in at 6:15 and they will have a better idea then.

The bloods have been done and sent off, and I will need to wait until Friday to get the results. In the meantime we are trying to get Timmy to continue to eat.

He gave me such a fright this morning, especially after losing Bailey at the end of December. As I said, Timmy stops eating loads of times and I think it's more than time a blood test was done, but he has never been shivering and unresponsive before.

Thank you for the vibes.

Awww no... Get well vibes from us too..

Last year whilst looking after a bun while owners were on holiday, little'un developed Nystagmus and head tilt and was put on panacur, metacam and other meds which I can't recall, he made a full recovery...

Lots of cuddles for you too!

Fee x

Timmy is home, and seems much brighter than this morning. They showed me some of the poos he had done, and they look fine. He is busy munching a little greens now.

I'm quite annoyed though, and not sure if it's just me over-reacting as usual. I opened his carry case when we got home, to find a whole kiwi fruit in it, cut into pieces. Not the best thing for a rabbit who is having problems with his tummy, especially a whole fruit.

Anyway, the plan is to try to keep Timmy eating and they will see what happens when the bloods come back. Timmy's eyes were moving around again at the vets, but he didn't see it because he was talking to me at the time.

When little bun had nystagmus, his eyes flickered for about a week to a lesser degree till it stopped with the meds.

That's just my experience though,,,

When little bun had nystagmus, his eyes flickered for about a week to a lesser degree till it stopped with the meds.

That's just my experience though,,,

I thought the vet would start Timmy on Panacur today but he wants to wait until the results are back. Timmy's eyes were "off" at the vet but are fine again.

Hopefully this will be a short easily treated thing.

Thanks for the vibes

If your bun is going into stasis/going off his food regularly I'd want that checked out. I think you are right to be concerned about what they are giving him to eat...a kiwi fruit would most definitely be a big no no and be raising red flags for me. I don't think your vets are very rabbit savvy...or somebody who has been looking after him isn't. I would ring them and ask why there was a full kiwi fruit in his carrier and then ask why they thought that was a good idea and then perhaps think about finding a good rabbit vet in your area. I do think their response to him not eating was good so perhaps it was a silly mistake and it would definitely be best to bring up with them.

Sending your bunny tons of vibes. Did they suggest treating for E.C as a precaution?

Back