• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoors for winter option

louise200

Alpha Buck
OH has agreed I could have the rabbits inside over winter if wanted (hurrah!) as I do miss them. But I need to make sure it's right thing to do, as they do seem happy outside. I'm not sure if it would stress them out too much.

Room is carpeted and 9ft by 8.6, so a bit more square foot than aviary outside. We have two female cats who do sniff noses with the buns through mesh and not been aggressive at all (male rabbits are same size as them!) We'd keep door locked or make a lockable mesh door so they can see landing etc.

Does anyone else do this and does it work well? Any advice, tips welcome, thanks.

:thumb: it depends on the rabbits, my outdoor pair are very rabbity rabbits and they would rather me not hang around with them, Although visiting to bring food/water etc is tolerated, so I know that bringing them inside would not be good for them. But my indoor bunny much prefers it indoors, he is a cuddly bun who loves people.

The space sounds good, just bear in mind that they may ruin the carpet. I would be tempted to roll it up and store it until after they went back outside to avoid them digging it up or chewing holes in it. They might not of course, Boots doesn't normally chew stuff, but he does like weeing on soft things :roll: I keep Boots and my cat away from each other when I am not there, when Boots is free ranging the cat leaves the room quickly, he is confused by Boots running at him (not aggressively at all, but the cat doesn't understand) I do think it would be best to shut the door or do a mesh door.
The only other point is that they would need to stay in until the weather warmed up to more or less the same temperature as inside. The other thing is you might not want to put them back out, I think the relationship you can have with house rabbits is amazing :love:

Thanks Zoobec that's really useful! I think I'd Lino whole room first maybe, if I did it. But I'm just not sure it's right for them I guess. They seem happy outside and they are excited about feeding times and let me stroke them but don't like checks and nail clipping much. When we first got them last August we had them in the lounge, hall and kitchen a few times and they loved it, running around and Binkying like mad, investigating all the places (their favourite place to go was my daughters early learning centre wooden kitchen oven :shock: ) I think that was more space than they'd ever had before.

I'll keep thinking! I'd love to have best of both worlds but perhaps now is wrong time to 'see' as you said, they'd have to stay in till April. Thanks again :thumb:

Back