• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit aged 13

Fluffy.

New Kit
Hi, we have a rabbit, who is 13yrs old in April

Is there anything we need to do differently at this advanced age? He has daily fresh hay, fresh veg every morning, and a combination of mature rabbit pellets and muesli every evening

His eyes are a bit watery and he seems to have cataracts, eyes almost closed. We think he's deaf also.

IMG_8841.JPG

I guess he has regular check ups at the vet? What did the vet say about his weepy eye? He looks great for his age :)

Yeah, nurse clips his nails every year, vet checks his weight
We don't think he can hear either as bonfire night didn't effect him, he usually bangs his back legs all night

He's in a double hutch but hasn't been able to jump upstairs for last 3 years ( he ate the ladder, would never use it )

Weepy eye they think might be damp outside, we have a thermo cover on the hutch so his body heat over night might be damp air

Wow what an achievement to reach 13! :wave: I'd probably say he needs more regular check ups than yearly but again I've not had a bun that old before, maybe someone else can chip in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, we have a rabbit, who is 13yrs old in April

Is there anything we need to do differently at this advanced age? He has daily fresh hay, fresh veg every morning, and a combination of mature rabbit pellets and muesli every evening

His eyes are a bit watery and he seems to have cataracts, eyes almost closed. We think he's deaf also.

IMG_8841.JPG

It's a good idea to keep a check on his weight. Sometimes rabbits (especially fluffy ones) lose weight with old age and we fail to notice.

The weepy eye could be tooth-related so I'd definitely pop him along to the vet for a check up. Tooth problems could also stop him eating.

You say he never uses the upstairs in his hutch - does he have a fully enclosed area he can retreat to on the lower level? He needs somewhere he can hide away to escape weather and predators, especially at his age.

He's a grand old gentleman though - 13 is an amazing age!

:love: bless him, what a wonderful age, the cateracts and deafness will be down to old age, the watery eyes could be tooth related also, has he recently had his teeth checked out for that

A checkup on his eyes would be a good idea, I think it's important with older rabbits not to assume issues are always age related and not treatable - they can get all the diseases a young bun can :) Even if he does have cataracts, they might be able to give you some drops to make his eyes more comfortable. If they are weeping that implies there might be a bit of irritation or infection going on too.

Generally though, just keep up the good work, 13 years is a great age to get a bun too :D

He looks as though he may have quite advanced arthritis in his spine now. He also appears to be needing a bit of help in the grooming department. So I would take him to your Vet for a thorough examination. If arthritis is an issue he would benefit from a daily dose of a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam. I would check his hocks too, they may be sore. As Tamsin mentioned the Vet will be able to treat his eye problem. His ears will need checking too. They may be full of 'gunk' and need cleaning out. Especially if he can no longer scratch his ears with the toes of his hind legs.

He is a lovely old fella :love:

A checkup on his eyes would be a good idea, I think it's important with older rabbits not to assume issues are always age related and not treatable - they can get all the diseases a young bun can :) Even if he does have cataracts, they might be able to give you some drops to make his eyes more comfortable. If they are weeping that implies there might be a bit of irritation or infection going on too.

Generally though, just keep up the good work, 13 years is a great age to get a bun too :D

What great advice Tamsin! Jack's-Jane too. I have had several bunnies who got into the double digits, and your are correct that they can get the same problems a young bunny gets and some are treatable, although their age and condition of their organs can make it dangerous to give them general anestesea. Others are manageable where the bunny can be more comfortable.

Update

He has an eye infection due to tear ducts being blocked. But other than that he's been given a clean bill of health . His teeth are fantastic according to the vet, and it's certainly one of the reasons he's lived so long

Update

He has an eye infection due to tear ducts being blocked. But other than that he's been given a clean bill of health . His teeth are fantastic according to the vet, and it's certainly one of the reasons he's lived so long

I hope that his eye infection will clear up with treatment. Great news that other than that he has had a clean bill of health :D

Update

Thanks for letting us know. One of my buns also turns 13 in a few weeks time ...

I think it's a really good point that teeth are a major cause of either illness or longevity depending on how they are ..

Glad you got some eye drops - good suggestion Tamsin!

Update

The eye drops worked :)

He's lost the redness and is looking great, the vet amazed at his condition , we are chuffed.

Every day now a bonus, we move soon and it's a 5 hour drive, 5th house he's lived in, 2 more than my son we bought him for when he was 6! He's 19 and long since gone

The death defying Fluffy lives one, thanks the help, great website.

Update

He's lost the redness and is looking great, the vet amazed at his condition , we are chuffed.

Every day now a bonus, we move soon and it's a 5 hour drive, 5th house he's lived in, 2 more than my son we bought him for when he was 6! He's 19 and long since gone

Wonderful news !! Good luck with your new burrow.................I mean house !

Update

Aaaww how lovely of you to come back and post an update! Fluffy seems to be a very adaptable bunny ... I wonder how many future houses he's expecting to live in? :lol:

Only five of the 30+ bunnies I owned over the years reached got to the age of 13. I am currently taking care of Amigo, a Netherland Dwarf who I had for over 14 years. The day I got him, I was wearing a very soft sweater that was the same color as him. He immediately snuggled into me and we became instant friends. Six days later, my husband brought home his twin brother who passed in June 2014. He has medical issues, some are treatable, and I enjoy every day I spend with him. He still enjoys his time with me and I will help him as long as he chooses.

Back