• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit muesli?

TheTigerThief

Warren Scout
My mother bought my rabbits a bag of rabbit muesli, which is like a bunch of mixed seeds. Everywhere I've read seems to say muesli is bad for rabbits, but I was wondering if it would be OK to give them just a little bit, like a spoonful or so? Their diet is pretty much all hay with some cos (romaine) lettuce every afternoon. They also get a cup of pellets. They're pretty healthy buns, but would it be alright to give them a small amount of the muesli?

Seeds are not good for rabbits. I use Muesli and my buns are very healthy on it but there are no seeds in mine. Does it have a list of ingredients on the packet?

Seeds are not good for rabbits. I use Muesli and my buns are very healthy on it but there are no seeds in mine. Does it have a list of ingredients on the packet?

From what I definitely remember reading, there were things like alfalfa, barely, clover, lentils, oats, peas, beans, soya, sunflower seeds, banana chips and raisins. Looking at my little list there might less seeds than I thought... :?

Last edited:
Similar to the usual ingredients - maybe he will be ok if you mix a little bit in with his pellets. Raisins are too high in sugar though. If the beans are locust beans then not suitable nor are lentils. So, all in all, it isn't really a very good food.

Last edited:
I think I would take it back to the shop and change it for his usual food :thumb:

i wouldn't feed it, muesli is a bit like a mcdonalds or sweets are to humans so if they already have a healthy diet i wouldn't risk it :wave:

They're really that bad? Sorry, I'm a first-time bun owner... :?

It's not just that they aren't recommended, it is a bad idea to be feeding your bun something different, changes in diet should be very slow and gradual to avoid upset tummies.

Sunflower seeds? Are you sure? That sounds more like hamster food. Rabbit muesli doesn't normally contain things like that.

i wouldn't feed it, muesli is a bit like a mcdonalds or sweets are to humans so if they already have a healthy diet i wouldn't risk it :wave:

OK, fair enough. Thanks for the advice. :)

It's not just that they aren't recommended, it is a bad idea to be feeding your bun something different, changes in diet should be very slow and gradual to avoid upset tummies.

I was aware of that, my buns are also still pretty young so I won't go messing with their diet. Thanks for all your infomation. :)

Sunflower seeds? Are you sure? That sounds more like hamster food. Rabbit muesli doesn't normally contain things like that.

The bag says "Rabbit & Guinea Pig" feed... Judging by the comments, this mix sounds like a bad idea and I've decided not to feed it to them.

OK, fair enough. Thanks for the advice. :)

I was aware of that, my buns are also still pretty young so I won't go messing with their diet. Thanks for all your infomation. :)

The bag says "Rabbit & Guinea Pig" feed... Judging by the comments, this mix sounds like a bad idea and I've decided not to feed it to them.

Doesn't sound good at all, rabbits and guinea pigs have different dietary needs !

Doesn't sound good at all, rabbits and guinea pigs have different dietary needs !

I agree, I wasn't totally sure it was appropriate... Glad I asked! :)

I wouldn't trust the manufacturers, anyway: g/pigs and rabbits need different food.

Yep, the bag does look like a pretty exciting mix of stuff and I guess my mum thought it'd a nice treat for them... :roll: Oh well, they're eating well right now so no need to go messing with their diet.

Back