• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Leo is not well :(/ Vets again today!

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
Leo isn't eating properly and had a trip to the emergency vets last night after I went into his room and instead of charging me for food, he just sat there unresponsive, the emergency vet gave him metacam and metoclopramide and said his stomach felt fine.

He had improved this morning but had a check up this afternoon with a vet none of the rabbits have been to before. She was asked by my bf to give him metacam and metoclopramide again because we can't medicate him, she even mentioned statis but just gave him metacam and a multivitamin B12 injection.. (Didn't realise this until my bf got back with him)

He was pooing and weeing last night after the emergency vet meds but now (after a road closure and 2 separate stressful journeys for Leo) he's just not interested in anything :( It's so stressful, I feel like crying :cry:
We have metoclopramide, zantac, recovery food and metacam here but he is impossible to medicate. There is just no way of getting it in him. With the others they will hold it in their mouths but eventually swallow it. Leo just goes floppy and will not swallow, he will wait until it all drips back out of his mouth.

His teeth are 'terrible' in her words :evil: even though our usual vet and the emergency vet last night told us apart from one tooth growing out a bit it shouldn't be causing any issue as it isn't red or near the skin/tongue or anything. The only thing was his body temp was a bit low but it was -1.5 when he went out and he is a house rabbit.
But of course his teeth are terrible, he had no/soiled on hay for 5 years :evil: which she would know if she had read his file as everything is on their computers. My bf had to explain everything to her and all she did was ignore him and manhandle Leo. She was incredibly rough with him apparently :( I'm fuming!

It's just never ending. Still having trouble with Kerbie too :cry:

I have no idea what could be wrong though. He just won't eat properly :( He's gone from nearly constantly eating hay to breaking bits of hay and only eating grass, forage and soggy pellets when he was eating yesterday.
He has previously suffered with EC, we have panacur, do we worm him just in case?
He also has snuffles but currently under control. He was vaccinated but that was over a month ago now.

I'm sorry if this post is a bit jumbled. I'm so angry and at the same time feel like crying I'm so worried and stressed out. I just have no idea what's going on :cry:

Last edited:
So sorry to read you are struggling. He needs the meds and syringe feeding. Where in the Midlands are you? If you are unable to do it then I would have him admitted to a decent vet. His temperature is low because he is shutting down, I dont want to alarm you but he really has to have the recovery, metaclop and zantac. I would also check how much metacam he was given in case its not enough.

Oh no :( this sounds so stressful :(

Not much I can advise on though :( Harvey and Lilly both used to dribble their meds to get out of having them, I now put the syringe quite far back in Lilly's throat when she needs meds and then she has no choice but to swallow immediately, I do it really slowly and in about 2-3 sessions so she doesn't inhale it as that's the risk with putting the syringe further in, it works for her and she'll get most of her metacam when she needs it as a result. It is hard work wrestling a rabbit determined not to have medication though :( are there any decent vets who'd admit him so they can do it as they'll be well trained in syringe feeding and medicating rabbits?

Fingers crossed he turns a corner soon x

it sounds like it could be the tooth causing the problem. sounds like his mouth is sore?? i was told once that a slight tooth issue shouldn't cause issues for bisc, but it did. he could be hiding more spurs out of sight, and that one tooth is the only obvious sign.

it's so stressful when they won't take meds easily and swallow them though. it becomes almost impossible. if his temperature is low then you may have to have him admitted for the meds and care.

and make sure the metacam is high enough aswell as already suggested.

sending lots of vibes x

Leo isn't eating properly and had a trip to the emergency vets last night after I went into his room and instead of charging me for food, he just sat there unresponsive, the emergency vet gave him metacam and metoclopramide and said his stomach felt fine.

He had improved this morning but had a check up this afternoon with a vet none of the rabbits have been to before. She was asked by my bf to give him metacam and metoclopramide again because we can't medicate him, she even mentioned statis but just gave him metacam and a multivitamin B12 injection.. (Didn't realise this until my bf got back with him)

He was pooing and weeing last night after the emergency vet meds but now (after a road closure and 2 separate stressful journeys for Leo) he's just not interested in anything :( It's so stressful, I feel like crying :cry:
We have metoclopramide, zantac, recovery food and metacam here but he is impossible to medicate. There is just no way of getting it in him. With the others they will hold it in their mouths but eventually swallow it. Leo just goes floppy and will not swallow, he will wait until it all drips back out of his mouth.

His teeth are 'terrible' in her words :evil: even though our usual vet and the emergency vet last night told us apart from one tooth growing out a bit it shouldn't be causing any issue as it isn't red or near the skin/tongue or anything. The only thing was his body temp was a bit low but it was -1.5 when he went out and he is a house rabbit.
But of course his teeth are terrible, he had no/soiled on hay for 5 years :evil: which she would know if she had read his file as everything is on their computers. My bf had to explain everything to her and all she did was ignore him and manhandle Leo. She was incredibly rough with him apparently :( I'm fuming!

It's just never ending. Still having trouble with Kerbie too :cry:

I have no idea what could be wrong though. He just won't eat properly :( He's gone from nearly constantly eating hay to breaking bits of hay and only eating grass, forage and soggy pellets when he was eating yesterday.
He has previously suffered with EC, we have panacur, do we worm him just in case?
He also has snuffles but currently under control. He was vaccinated but that was over a month ago now.

I'm sorry if this post is a bit jumbled. I'm so angry and at the same time feel like crying I'm so worried and stressed out. I just have no idea what's going on :cry:

I am sorry that things are so stressful for you. It may be that Leo does have some discomfort in his mouth which has resulted in him eating less leading to reduced gut motility. You dont mention what his poo output has been like ? It sounds as though he is a stress-head Bunny, so the (essential) Vet trips may be contributing to his anorexia. He will also pick up on your (understandable) anxiety.

I would make sure that he is now warm enough, leave small amounts of tempting food close by and try to take a step back for a couple of hours. I have been known to place a mirror in a location that enables me to watch a Rabbit without them seeing me do so. We all know how many Rabbits who are under the weather will continue to refuse to eat if we watch them !!

I think you may find that a bit of time to 'de stress' might help and once he realises he's not going to be poked about again he may start to eat.

Sending lots of vibes for him xx

sending leo lots of vibes, it could be that one tooth, that is causing him to not eat his hay as he once did, every rabbit is different some more sensitive to others, my sox was one of them, a minor change to a tooth and he was not happy

as you know you need to get his body temperature up, also as above jane says regarding his output

keep us updated xxx

To get one of my buns to swallow, I would gently message his throat. Also, when giving meds, perhaps you could divide the dose into separate syringes. I am not sure how much your bunny gets, but it is easier for me to get my bunnies to swallow a little at a time, even if it is more difficult to get it into their mouth to begin with. I use a 1cc syringe when I give meds because it is easier to get more than just the tip a little deeper into the bunny's mouth.

My one bunny generally liked, and even came running for Meticam, until I used the same syringe for antibiotics, which she did not like. They are so smart.

Thank you for all of your replies, I did take everything on I promise :D Just had an issue with Kerbie last night which has resulted in another incredibly unhappy rabbit!

He is much better today, as was last night. Disturbing him makes him anxious so we left the door open to keep checking on him, he's deaf so freaks out easily if he can't see you come in. He also hates us right now, more my bf though as he will accept fuss from me.

Poops are coming out thick and fast but are smaller and very dark, he has gone from eating lots of hay to grass though, which is odd but maybe it's easier to eat?
I forgot to mention about his temp being normal from the vet trip yesterday.

We've booked him in to see our usual vet who knows him very well as she is the one who saw him when we took him on.

Over night he ate his grass, about half a handful of pellets and forage. He is fine eating forage, his fenugreek crunchies etc. He loves the fresh hay going down and will get straight into breaking it up! I put pellets, forage and readigrass on the hay to try and temp or trick him but he just eats all of that and moves on.
We are able to get most of the medicine in him by putting it on the grass, it's not leaking under or going anywhere else so I'm guessing he's getting it all!

He's off to see our usual vet today, not looking forward to the aftermath as he sulks for hours.. But he has eaten a lot so far today so will have something in his tum at least.

He is pooping fine although they are smaller and very dark, his diet is now everything he was eating before apart from hay. Grass, veg, pellets, fenugreek crunchies etc. He won't eat pellets straight away, he prefers grass and forage first. Still just breaking up hay, so hopefully we can sort out whatever problem he has!

Back