• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have you ever changed the name of your bunny?

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
As the title says really.... have you ever changed the names of any of your bunnies?

And if so, did it confuse them?

x

I change the names of mine whenever I take them on from a rescue/their old home :) Personally I don't think that they knew their names to begin with (they still don't know :lol:) so no, they weren't confused :)

I changed Flopsy to Lopsy because he's a lop and not a great flopper. I didn't know if he knew his name or not, having come from a family home, so didn't want to change it too much! :)

Yeah, nearly always change their names as they are getting a new start. I kept Anakin's name (I got him from a rescue and it was the name given by previous owner) because the name had actually been given some thought and was very individual. However during the first year of his time with me I found out his previous owner was a breeder so very upset by this decided to change his name. I changed it to Anarchy (suits him perfectly :lol:) so had to change it on his insurance policy and at the vets. I think I'd been calling Anarchy all along anyway!

It's a bit of a standing joke when I take a new rabbit to the vets for vaccination/neutering that it takes ages to come up with a name. Try tried to name one for me as I was taking so long over it :oops:

Re confusing them, I don't think they know their names really, they respond more to the rattle of pellets than they do their names.

Mottle and peaches were monty and beartrice. Frosty and snowflake were pet shop rabbits and not already named autumn and sunshine came to me un named from the rescue and i kept tessie daisys names.

None of them know their names though. They all have millions of nick names!

Yes.

Humphrey was called Lily. His previous owner thought he was a she so that needed changing. :p
He was 1 1/2 at the time. He didn't seem to have any problems adjusting and comes when called now!

Only two of mine already had names, both bunnies were part of separate large scale rescues and had subsequently been named by children.

Sugar was from Fatfluffs and I kept her name.

Minnie was from Windwhistle. She had been named 'Princess Sparkles'. Having the name 'Princess Sparkles Hamilton' called out in the waiting room at the vets would have been too embarrassing :lol: So we decided to give her a name change.

I don't know if Blackavar had a name at his previous home - I deliberately didn't ask because I wanted to call him Blackavar :lol: I think she called Brad though.

Cherry was Cowslip. For some reason though I just couldn't get on with that name and I love cherry blossom trees :lol: plus black cherries are just nommy. Blackavar and Cherry therefore :lol:

Yeah, I thought Charlie was a girl when I got him so he was called Lilly.

Confused the hell out of him. He's nearly 7 and he responded to Lilly for a good few years.

I just tried saying Lilly, and Milly responded... Guess it is similar :lol: Charlie didn't, but he's also not responding to his own name right now so I guess I'm being ignored :shock:

Minnie was from Windwhistle. She had been named 'Princess Sparkles'. Having the name 'Princess Sparkles Hamilton' called out in the waiting room at the vets would have been too embarrassing :lol: So we decided to give her a name change.

Wish someone had pointed this out to me when I named "Little Skunk":lol::lol:

I couldn't change Rosie's name as she does answer to it :D but then she has started coming when i call Jessy (the cat) as i usually only want him to give him treats and if she follows i cant resist, plus the rattle of a box brings them both :roll:

I changed Fluffy to Pie as she doesn't care anyway :lol: i don't think she knew she had a name before i got her ;)

Never had to rename our bunnies. Although George was suppose to be a girl but my sister had already called him George because of the Abominable Snowman from Looney tunes.

Hershel and Maggie both respond to their names including the nicknames I have but they tend to be a play on their names. Maggie will respond to Boo Bear or Maggie Boo Bear better than just Maggie. And Hershel tends to respond more to Hershey as he knows if I say Hershel he is normally doing something he shouldn't be doing.

George and Harry outside generally don't respond as much to their names although for some reason NOM-NOMS tend to get them running. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I changed the spelling, but not the actual name. Alfrid was Alfred but is now called Alfrid (obviously), though when he was registered at the vets and insurance he went down as Alfie because it was just easier and my Mum had nicknamed him that. I cba to change it, and he doesn't even know his name so it doesn't matter :lol: well, he knows it depending on the tone! If I put on a voice and say it he will register, but if I just say it normally he'll ignore me :lol:

Well, Hugh responds to his name but I always say it in the exact same way. I always call him 'Hughey come' and he hops over to investigate if I have treats. I'm pretty sure if I said 'Wibbly sum' in the exact same tone he'd still come running :lol:

Back