PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever changed the name of your bunny?

Bitzy-B
06-02-2015, 12:25 PM
As the title says really.... have you ever changed the names of any of your bunnies?

And if so, did it confuse them?

x

chloemurray
06-02-2015, 12:28 PM
I change the names of mine whenever I take them on from a rescue/their old home :) Personally I don't think that they knew their names to begin with (they still don't know :lol:) so no, they weren't confused :)

keletkezes
06-02-2015, 12:42 PM
I changed Flopsy to Lopsy because he's a lop and not a great flopper. I didn't know if he knew his name or not, having come from a family home, so didn't want to change it too much! :)

Bunny Buddy
06-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Yeah, nearly always change their names as they are getting a new start. I kept Anakin's name (I got him from a rescue and it was the name given by previous owner) because the name had actually been given some thought and was very individual. However during the first year of his time with me I found out his previous owner was a breeder so very upset by this decided to change his name. I changed it to Anarchy (suits him perfectly :lol:) so had to change it on his insurance policy and at the vets. I think I'd been calling Anarchy all along anyway!

It's a bit of a standing joke when I take a new rabbit to the vets for vaccination/neutering that it takes ages to come up with a name. Try tried to name one for me as I was taking so long over it :oops:

Re confusing them, I don't think they know their names really, they respond more to the rattle of pellets than they do their names.

weeble
06-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Yes Evie was nina and Albert was Valentine but they didn't fit with my alphabet theme

tulsi
06-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Mottle and peaches were monty and beartrice. Frosty and snowflake were pet shop rabbits and not already named autumn and sunshine came to me un named from the rescue and i kept tessie daisys names.

None of them know their names though. They all have millions of nick names!

HoneyBear
06-02-2015, 01:14 PM
Yes!
Alice was Zealand how yucky was that!!

Oompa-Loompa
06-02-2015, 01:21 PM
Boris was originally a Doris...:oops: :lol:

Azucena
06-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Yes.

Humphrey was called Lily. His previous owner thought he was a she so that needed changing. :p
He was 1 1/2 at the time. He didn't seem to have any problems adjusting and comes when called now!

Tracy
06-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Only two of mine already had names, both bunnies were part of separate large scale rescues and had subsequently been named by children.

Sugar was from Fatfluffs and I kept her name.

Minnie was from Windwhistle. She had been named 'Princess Sparkles'. Having the name 'Princess Sparkles Hamilton' called out in the waiting room at the vets would have been too embarrassing :lol: So we decided to give her a name change.

Tracy
06-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Boris was originally a Doris...:oops: :lol:

:lol::lol:

Sarah1989
06-02-2015, 01:36 PM
I don't know if Blackavar had a name at his previous home - I deliberately didn't ask because I wanted to call him Blackavar :lol: I think she called Brad though.

Cherry was Cowslip. For some reason though I just couldn't get on with that name and I love cherry blossom trees :lol: plus black cherries are just nommy. Blackavar and Cherry therefore :lol:

steph182
06-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I thought Charlie was a girl when I got him so he was called Lilly.

Confused the hell out of him. He's nearly 7 and he responded to Lilly for a good few years.

I just tried saying Lilly, and Milly responded... Guess it is similar :lol: Charlie didn't, but he's also not responding to his own name right now so I guess I'm being ignored :shock:

Bunny Buddy
06-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Minnie was from Windwhistle. She had been named 'Princess Sparkles'. Having the name 'Princess Sparkles Hamilton' called out in the waiting room at the vets would have been too embarrassing :lol: So we decided to give her a name change.

Wish someone had pointed this out to me when I named "Little Skunk":lol::lol:

Mrsmcarey
06-02-2015, 02:17 PM
I couldn't change Rosie's name as she does answer to it :D but then she has started coming when i call Jessy (the cat) as i usually only want him to give him treats and if she follows i cant resist, plus the rattle of a box brings them both :roll:

I changed Fluffy to Pie as she doesn't care anyway :lol: i don't think she knew she had a name before i got her ;)

Mrsmcarey
06-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Wish someone had pointed this out to me when I named "Little Skunk":lol::lol:

its worse when they call Stu and Casserole and realise they are Rabbits :oops:

Snowflake-George
06-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Never had to rename our bunnies. Although George was suppose to be a girl but my sister had already called him George because of the Abominable Snowman from Looney tunes.

Hershel and Maggie both respond to their names including the nicknames I have but they tend to be a play on their names. Maggie will respond to Boo Bear or Maggie Boo Bear better than just Maggie. And Hershel tends to respond more to Hershey as he knows if I say Hershel he is normally doing something he shouldn't be doing.

George and Harry outside generally don't respond as much to their names although for some reason NOM-NOMS tend to get them running. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sarah1989
06-02-2015, 03:30 PM
its worse when they call Stu and Casserole and realise they are Rabbits :oops:

See I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face if I were in the waiting room and heard someone's rabbits called that! Your rabbits have the best names ever!

JemimaH
06-02-2015, 04:41 PM
I changed the spelling, but not the actual name. Alfrid was Alfred but is now called Alfrid (obviously), though when he was registered at the vets and insurance he went down as Alfie because it was just easier and my Mum had nicknamed him that. I cba to change it, and he doesn't even know his name so it doesn't matter :lol: well, he knows it depending on the tone! If I put on a voice and say it he will register, but if I just say it normally he'll ignore me :lol:

icklepxy
06-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Well, Hugh responds to his name but I always say it in the exact same way. I always call him 'Hughey come' and he hops over to investigate if I have treats. I'm pretty sure if I said 'Wibbly sum' in the exact same tone he'd still come running :lol:

J&R
06-02-2015, 05:33 PM
Yes Rosie was originally 'Thumpy' at her old owners because she thumped a lot. Soon as she was out of a small hutch she stopped thumping so she became Rosie. I'm not sure if she knows her name or just comes running in the hope of treats? I suspect the latter.
I only change names if I think they're not right for the animal so Fiver kept his original name.

Mischief and Tinker's Mum
06-02-2015, 05:37 PM
Tinker changed to Tinkerbell when I found out she was a girl but not much of a difference and she still got called Tinker or Tink a lot!

Hector used to be Nibbles but I didn't think it suited him and he didn't even nibble :lol:

I didn't change Poppy's because I love the name and always wanted a Poppy but it had never worked out, I'd had bad luck with the name but third time lucky I had my Poppy! :)

Primrose was Catelyn, but as I have a friend called Caitlin, it seemed a bit strange calling her that. :lol: It took me ages to decide on a name and she went through a few different names the first week she came to me!

Mischief, Jasper, Blossom and Theo didn't have names when I took them on so I named them myself and they stayed the same. :)

Azucena
06-02-2015, 05:38 PM
Well, Hugh responds to his name but I always say it in the exact same way. I always call him 'Hughey come' and he hops over to investigate if I have treats. I'm pretty sure if I said 'Wibbly sum' in the exact same tone he'd still come running :lol:

I actually tested this with Humphrey. :oops: he only came when I actually said his name, not nonsense. I was impressed!

MissSherwood89
06-02-2015, 07:34 PM
Fili was called Jasper at the rescue... Guess what I'm obsessed with? :oops:

hng187
06-02-2015, 07:38 PM
I changed my buns name several times!

Scrappy's Little Helper
06-02-2015, 07:44 PM
Scrappy was the name her original owner gave her and I've kept it as it kind of felt "wrong" to call her anything else, even though it's not a name I would ever have chosen myself. Having said that, more often than not I call her by a nickname. I started off calling her Scrappy Doo, which became Scrappy Doodle and has now evolved to Doodle Bug. She's never really responded to any of them :lol:

*Funny*Bunny*
06-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Harvey had no name before I got him, I chose his name when I got him (took me about 3 hours solid of name searching and list making :lol:) and didn't change it ever

Lilly was called Tigerlilly by her previous owner and nicknamed Tiger (she has tiger stripes!) and the lady was sad to be giving her up (her stupid friends got her a rabbit as a birthday present without knowing she was allergic, they just knew she loved animals so thought it was appropriate) so I said I'd keep her name, but I already had had a hamster called Tigerlilly nicknamed Tiger so I named her Lilly which is short for her "official" name of Tigerlilly :p

Arthur was called Fred Flinstone at rescue and my family and friends all wanted me to keep that name! But I thought Arthur suited him so well and as soon as I thought of the name Arthur that was it! I knew he was going to be Arthur almost as soon as I had him reserved :lol:

Lilly is the only one of my bunnies to know her name though! She also knows the words dinner, treat, herbs, you're such a pretty girl yes you are, kissing noises and cuddles so I could probably comfortably rename her all of those words :lol: or I could just rename her and I'd know she'd get the hang of it! But I'm not going to rename her as I LOVE the name Lilly (kind of wish I'd saved it for when I have children now I like it so much!) and I think it suits her because she's beautiful like the flower :love:

hannah
06-02-2015, 08:24 PM
When we got Archie, that was his name and it suited him so we kept it. He was Arch as a nickname and Archibald when he had done something wrong. My cheeky wee Scotsman so Archie was fitting!!

JemimaH
06-02-2015, 08:42 PM
Fili was called Jasper at the rescue... Guess what I'm obsessed with? :oops:

I LOVE his name! The closest I could get to anything Hobbit related was Alfrid :lol: even though he's a horrible character only in the films!

liz.lewis15
06-02-2015, 09:26 PM
Yes, Gatsby was originally Casper as he arrived at the rescue centre around Halloween. We decided he looked far too dignified and needed a grander name..!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

esupi
06-02-2015, 09:47 PM
Tully was Tulip (rescue name) for a year before we found out he was a boy.
Kyla was Kylie at the rescue but I knew she'd only had that name for a few weeks and just couldn't stick her with it forever. I would generally keep their rescue name unless it really grated.

TheTigerThief
06-02-2015, 10:04 PM
Mine had little nicknames like Spot, but when I got my girls I changed their names to something a little more creative. :D

Deelove
06-02-2015, 10:10 PM
Neither of mine had names, but no, I didn't even change molly's name when he turned out to be a boy and he'd only been molly a few days.

tabithakat64
06-02-2015, 10:17 PM
Yes mine were runty fluffy tiny and fluffball they're now Katniss Cinna prim and Haymitch

MissSherwood89
06-02-2015, 10:23 PM
I LOVE his name! The closest I could get to anything Hobbit related was Alfrid :lol: even though he's a horrible character only in the films!

I think Alfrid is a lovely name... Not such a lovely character in the film, obviously! :lol: I also have Thorin the hamster :thumb:

hoppetylop
06-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Milly was Maisey at the rescue but it didn't seem to suit her,Harry was Mickey which wasn't quite right either.Casper was Bubble which again didn't suit.I kept Harriets rescue name tho.It suited her exactly and I was originally going to bond her with Harry so that seemed to fit-although Harriet decided she didn't like him anyway:roll:
I kept Stars rescue name.It wouldn't have been my choice but she was given that name as she was a little star trying to keep her kits alive despite being fed very little and living in a tiny filthy hutch before being rescued from a back yard breeder so the name seems apt.

Hesperus
06-02-2015, 11:09 PM
No, Harry wouldn't have been my choice of name but I kept it. I did add a middle name though and of course he took my surname!

JemimaH
07-02-2015, 01:25 AM
I think Alfrid is a lovely name... Not such a lovely character in the film, obviously! :lol: I also have Thorin the hamster :thumb:

Aaaaaaahhhhhh that makes me so happy :D :D :D I am rather obsessed, in case you cannot tell :oops:

Bess&George
07-02-2015, 09:01 AM
I did. The rescue called them Mummy and Baby. Think mummy had been called Floppy or Flopsy by the previous owner but the rescue wasn't sure.
Think George would be offended if I still called him Baby now that he's three! :)

Kirotea
07-02-2015, 09:01 AM
Yeh I changed mine. They were called Tom and Gerry but then it turned out they weren't boys so the RSPCA called them Thomasina and Geri when they booked them in for their spay! They were less than 6 months old when I got them and they didn't know their names so I changed them. I asked for suggestions on my Facebook and my friend posted that his 5 year old daughter said Milly and Molly. I liked them but I thought they were a bit too similar names so I settled on Millie and Maddie with an 'ie' spelling because I think it looks nicer! They still don't know their names really. They come when I call "what's this? " as it means food! :lol:

Sky-O
07-02-2015, 10:00 AM
I've kept and changed some names as they arrived, but most of mine know themselves and come to a nickname, rather than their actual 'formal' name- so what their real name is doesn't matter.

Bitzy-B
08-02-2015, 09:23 AM
I've been and reserved a little girl bun from our local rescue as a friend for Rascal (Dizzi has gone to the bridge and he's so sad without her, bless him).

She's currently called Holly as she was found as a stray at Christmas but as she's only had that name a few weeks I'm guessing I should be ok to change it......what to though I have no idea at the mo!

Zoobec
08-02-2015, 09:30 AM
I've been and reserved a little girl bun from our local rescue as a friend for Rascal (Dizzi has gone to the bridge and he's so sad without her, bless him).

She's currently called Holly as she was found as a stray at Christmas but as she's only had that name a few weeks I'm guessing I should be ok to change it......what to though I have no idea at the mo!

Oh how lovely for Rascal :love: Yes It will be fine to change it :thumb: hope it all goes well :thumb:

beki
08-02-2015, 09:51 AM
Ruby was bought as a baby and didn't have a name so I chose that. Sometimes she responds to it, usually when it is shouted in a certain tone when she is being naughty. It might make her stop doing the naughty thing for 2 seconds!!

Reggie her old partner came from a rescue, he hadn't been there long so he hadn't been given a name. It took us ages to choose reggie. He didn't respond to it at all in the 4 years I had him but he was a grumpy boy and didn't respond to much really.

New bunny came with the name Smartie but he was a stray so only had that name for a few months. He is now Bertie. I've only had him 3 weeks so he hasn't had chance to learn his name yet.

BeatrixPotter
08-02-2015, 02:00 PM
I changed Molly's name from Lara when I adopted her. She had only been given that name while in rescue as when she was rescued she had no name. Molly belonged to a byb and had been forced to have litter after litter. :cry:

Lara is a nice name, infact she was named after a member of RU who helped rescue her along with TRC, but it was too similar to Lila one of my other buns so it was changed. Molly definitely knows her name and responds to it. I could also call her breakfast, tea and herby treats and get the same response though! :roll: :lol:

angelmouse
08-02-2015, 08:23 PM
Yes I've changed some and kept some.
Mollie was called Gladys when we got her (she'd had that name about 2 or 3 years).
Bindi kept her name (of 15 months), as did Eddie (of about a month)
Zoie was called Wispa and Inara was called Aero (they'd both had those names about 4 months)