• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam tablets

Julia123

Warren Veteran
Anyone ever used them? I've got a bun who hates the taste and smell of metacam solution and wondered if these might be worth a shot. He will take meds hidden in shreddies so long as there isn't a strong smell.

Anyone?

Last edited:
I use Meloxidyl. I know it has the same active ingredient but a slightly different formulation than Metacam - not sure if it is different enough for your bunny, though. It smells the same to me and I've never had a rabbit that objects to the taste of either. Sorry if that's not much help.

Could you contact a supplier like VetUK and ask them? They sell several variations so might be able to advise.

I have the same problem with Bentley. He finds the smell and taste of metacam repulsive. He's a Conti and very strong, so if he does it want to take it then you're not going to make him!

We tried the tablets, it worked once hidden in a strawberry, but he quickly grew wise to it and he managed to pick his way around the tablet no matter what I tried to hide it in. They don't have the same strong smell as the liquid, but they do have a slightly meaty hint as they are aimed for dogs. I'd say it's worth giving them a shot. I seem to remember they were quite expensive so perhaps only have a small number initially to test whether he will take them.

Bentley is managing OK without metacam for now, but I do need to find a solution to the problem of getting meds down him as his arthritis is only ever going to get worse.

I have the same problem with Bentley. He finds the smell and taste of metacam repulsive. He's a Conti and very strong, so if he does it want to take it then you're not going to make him!

We tried the tablets, it worked once hidden in a strawberry, but he quickly grew wise to it and he managed to pick his way around the tablet no matter what I tried to hide it in. They don't have the same strong smell as the liquid, but they do have a slightly meaty hint as they are aimed for dogs. I'd say it's worth giving them a shot. I seem to remember they were quite expensive so perhaps only have a small number initially to test whether he will take them.

Bentley is managing OK without metacam for now, but I do need to find a solution to the problem of getting meds down him as his arthritis is only ever going to get worse.

Thank you! I'm glad its not just me with an odd bunny! The others will mob me for it and try and run off with the syringe! I can get it into him but its not a pleasant experience for either of us. He will take most tablets dissolved in water and syringed into a fruited shreddie so I'm hoping he will do the same with these. They aren't too expensive actually, it just depends on what the smallest pack size is I can order through my vet. I can get 7 for £1.95 online but then theres the £8 prescription fee and then delivery.

Thanks so much for replying, it really helps to know that they don't smell the same, fingers crossed! Little monkeys arent they! ;)

Try mixing with water and syringing into a summer fruit bite size shredded wheat maybe? Its worked for me.

Last edited:
I'd not tried dissolving one as I couldn't think what I'd be able to hide the liquid in. The fruity shredded wheats sound a good idea, I'll give them a try.

Of all my rabbits, the one I need to be good at takings meds is Bentley because of his size, but he is the worst patient ever and so very stubborn too. :roll:

I'd not tried dissolving one as I couldn't think what I'd be able to hide the liquid in. The fruity shredded wheats sound a good idea, I'll give them a try.

Of all my rabbits, the one I need to be good at takings meds is Bentley because of his size, but he is the worst patient ever and so very stubborn too. :roll:

I feel for you! I think they know!! Naughty bunnies ;)

ETA my vet could only order a pack of 84 at £54! So I'm getting a prescription and will order a pack of 7 for £1.95! Prescription is £8 but its still cheaper. Just hope it works else Ive wasted my money. The receptionist did say they vet would do the prescription for a larger quantity and I can order off as and when I need.

Last edited:
I believe both Meloxidyl and Metacam are both formulated with artificial sweeteners. Maybe this is the offending taste to some buns??

If the tablets don't work, one option may be to have the vet show you how to give metacam injections at home, instead of giving the oral suspension. Or if you still need to give it orally and the tablets don't work out, the injectable metacam added or mixed with something tasty may work, as it won't have any added flavors to it besides what you mix it with.

I believe both Meloxidyl and Metacam are both formulated with artificial sweeteners. Maybe this is the offending taste to some buns??

If the tablets don't work, one option may be to have the vet show you how to give metacam injections at home, instead of giving the oral suspension. Or if you still need to give it orally and the tablets don't work out, the injectable metacam added or mixed with something tasty may work, as it won't have any added flavors to it besides what you mix it with.

Sadly injections aren't an option, I cant keep him still enough. We are at the vet every 3 days for his penicillin as there is no way he would allow it to be done at home - hes a difficult one ;) but adorable with it :love: thanks for the tip on the injectable being given orally, will bear it in mind.

What is he on the Metacam for ? Is it an arthritic condition or are we talking about Mr F and his lung problem ?

Mr F Jane. He started to breathe a lot faster and had increased respiratory sounds. I was going to add in Marbocyl but vet thinks to try adding the metacam back in. Other vet said it wasn't needed so no point in forcing him. We are currently having twice daily battles hence me wanting to try the tabs instead. Just leaving for the vet for his injection and will hopefully get the script.

Thank you Julia :wave:

I tried your suggestion of hiding meds in the summer fruit shredded wheats and it worked :thumb: I successfully got the metacam tablet into Bentley. I crushed it then mixed it into a paste and syringed it into the shredded wheats. It took 3 shredded wheats to hide it all because he has a big dose due to his size, but he greedily ate the lot and was begging for more!

Back