• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Upset tum

juls65

Young Bun
I give my bun a small fresh apple twigs to gnaw on & have noticed he has left a couple of uneaten squashed poo's. He is eating well & doesn't seem unwell at all, so I was wondering if it could be the sap in the apple twig that's upsetting his tum & if it's a bit too harsh on his digestion? He can't eat veg as that upsets him. He has a few ss pellets each day, a small portion of herbs/forage & is a good hay eater & I try to keep his diet as natural as possible. Poo in the litter tray is plentiful & good size & colour. He's a 10 month old mini lop. Would be grateful for any thoughts/ advice. Thanks:)

Can't comment on the sap but you can buy dried apple twigs so you could try that and see if it helps.
when you say squashed poos do you mean the one he should be eating or that he Is having runny/loose poos?
Jims and Cookie don't eat any veg only fresh herbs as veg upset their tummies too.

If it's just the Cecals he is leaving and he is still eating/pooping and just generally acting perfectly normally then I would say that the apple sticks were maybe just a bit rich for him :(

He sounds like a sensitive bun if so! How much did you feed? Normally apple sticks are well tolerated by buns and are a very healthy treat. Maybe wait a few days until he is completely back to normal and no longer leaving his Cecals and then try him on a much smaller amount of apple sticks, say about a quarter of whatever he had today? Hopefully he will be able to tolerate it in smaller amounts!

He had a small twig which was about 20cm long & 0.5cm thick. Maybe it would be best as a once a week treat & see if he is ok that or I could dry some in the oven. Will be a shame if he can't have them as he loves them so much. Just checked him & all seems well this morning so far.Thankyou for the replies :)

Back