• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When is a rabbit classed as old?

rolo

Alpha Buck
Hi all.

As the thread title says. When is a bun classed as old? Our Rolo-bun is 5 this spring/early summer. What signs do we need to look out for that he is ageing?

Thanks

Rach & Rolo x

8 is getting old, 9 is quite old but it depends on how the rabbit has been cared for as well. I have taken 4 yr old rabbits off people and they have been "old". Bobby will be 9 next month and has only started to act his age in the last year. 5 really isn't old at all. My first rabbits (16 years ago) used to make it to 6 but I have improved their diet since then so expect them to live until 7/8. I suppose it's like humans, some are healthier than others.

In my area people are usually surprised when I tell them rabbits can expect to live 8-10 years, even longer. Spenser is probably 5 (I didn't have him as baby, but was told he was about 6 months old when I adopted him in April 2010). He certainly shows every sign of being a young rabbit.

I suppose signs to look for would be reduced mobility, pointing to arthritis, or signs that the rabbit doesn't see or hear as well. I believe vets can sometimes guess at a rabbits approx. age by inspecting their teeth.

I have known of dark furred rabbits developing a few grey hairs in their fur!

I'd start thinking of a bun as old at about 7. I'd start to think of them as very old at about 9.

I've never had one live beyond 6 though :( since rabbits are so fragile 'old' always feels like an odd term for them, a 2yr old bun seems to be almost as likely to develop stasis or something as an elderly bun!

Thanks all.

He is a (very) pampered house rabbit. I have noticed he has a few grey hairs under his eyes and around his nose. Although hard to properly tell as he is a harlequin. Hes a lop and probably the size of a rugby ball.
He doesnt seem to hear as well as he did. So maybe middle age is creeping up on him. One thing I have noticed, he stretches alot. He stands on all four paw-toes and arches his back like a cat and also stretches himself out from front to back. He has only just started doing this, so wonder if his joints might be stiff. Think a trip to the vet for a check-up might be in order.

Rach & Rolo x

id say it depends on the breed and size also smaller breeds tend to have longer lifespans compared to giant breeds

i think for medium buns, 8 is when they are classed as old. 5/6/7 seems middle aged to me. :)

i saw a rabbit a while back on the rspca manchester website. she was an 'older' rabbit for adoption, aged three :roll:

I think Petplan class rabbits as old when they reach five, they certainly hike the premiums up!:roll: my eldest bun, Munchkin is 11 & he doesn't act like an old bun. In fact he's just as sprightly as my younger buns, running & jumping up on the sofa etc unfortunately he is losing weight despite eating like he's constantly starved & now has an extra 2 portions of pellets a day. I do get annoyed when I read/hear of a rabbit being described as old at 5, unless they're of a giant breed then 5 is not old. Munch's 2 companions, Lucky & Pumpkin are themselves around 71/2-8

Last edited:
Ruby is 6 next week, I would class her as Middle age rather than old, not that she acts it at all, she is so naughty!

Back