• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes & advice needed please - Widget

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
Widget is not well. :cry:

She had a bout of stasis a few weeks ago on a Sunday, was still eating but straining to poop. While I was on the phone to the emergency vet debating whether to take her in she managed to spectacularly clear the blockage herself. A week later it re-occurred and we took her in. Whilst at the vets she started pooping. She was diagnosed with a compacted caecum and was treated with various analgesics and gut motility drugs. The vet noted a few molar spurs at that time and some weight loss. She was still eating but over the following two weeks we noticed a slow down in the rate that she was eating to the point where Sprocket was actually stealing her food (usually she eats hers quickly and steals his). She also lost more weight, she was around 3kg, at he last weight in was around 2.3kg. She was taken in for a dental and had bloods done on Monday. The bloods were all normal aside from elevated white cells, vet thinks she is fighting some kind of infection, possibly non-clinical pneumonia or a UTI. She's home but off her hay. She will eat broccoli, Kale, a little greens, some pellets & fenugreek crunchies (off and on) slowly. She's pooping, pellets are small due to the lack of hay. She's on Baytril for the infection and metacam for any pain. I've been syringing 10ml of the white powder type of critical care a couple of times a day and been trying to encourage her to eat as much as possible, also keeping her indoors. She's booked for a check up next Monday.

Does anyone have any other advice?

Thanks,

Jo

:cry: poor Widget. Sending lots of vibes, hope someone experienced in this will come along. I don't know if it would risk upsetting her tummy but have you tried any tricks to make her eat more hay, like hiding pellets and herbs in it,/sprinkling it with diluted Apple juice/ mixing in a little grated carrot? How about readigrass, would she eat that?

Thanks, I've tried sprinkling the veggies, pellets and some eat naturals herbs (mint etc) on the hay, but she's just picking out the veggies/pellets.

Hi thanks for responding, yeah she had some spurs, which have been corrected. She's nearly 5. She seems to be eating with a bit more enthusiasm, has just had a good go at some greens and earlier had a good portion of Allen and Page pellets. No sure of she has had much hay yet, I have been at work all day. Poo output is good, not golden but a fairly good size at the moment.

Not sure if this is a related good sign but her husbun has been zooming around the lounge like a mad thing!

Last year I almost lost a very old bunny to stasis. He and I were fighting with sub Q fluids, stasis drugs, medicam, and critical care; but Amigo was not improving. I asked the vet to try an enema to rehydrate some of his contents. The vet agreed to give it a try even though he told me he was not optimistic for my bun's recovery. I continued the sub Q fluids, stasis drugs, medicam, critical care, and syringed oral fluids slowly. By the next day he passed some sloppy, very wet, stinky poops. I continued with the same program of home care until he was eating/drinking/pooping almost normally.

Mottle liked brambles after his dental. Frosty was tempted by corriander and parsley and brambles.

Have you tried her on grass? All mine love it and its just as good as hay for them.

Thoughts with you and Widget, I'm not a bunny health expert like some of the others so I don't know what else to suggest you do but I really hope Widget gets better soon!

I'd also go with grass if hay isn't interesting her. Lance much prefers grass to hay. Hope she continues to improve.

Back