• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just been spayed, still off food.

Automaton539

Warren Scout
So, gonna ask the vet when they open at nine, but in the mean time figured I'd get some local advice.

So, for those who don't remember me, I have two mini rex / lion head cross girls.

I finally got enough time and money to have them spayed on Monday and while they look and seen to be acting fairly normally they seem to be off their good. They're drinking fine and nibbling their hay, definitely not as much as I'd like them to be nibbling though, but they're not eating their actual food our what used to be their favourite treats. I'm worried about stasis, should I be?

Sorry to hear your girls aren't eating well. Do they have any pain relief to have at home? Pain might cause them to not eat. Are they doing poos?

Have your tried offering them some herbs? Sometimes buns can be slow to eat after an op and need a bit encouragement.

Sending vibes

Yes, they are pooping, and peeing, and the vet gave me some metacam to take home, but the treats they seem disinterested in at the moment they usually go crazy for.

Not got ayt herbs to try them with other than what's in my cupboard that I usually put in my bolognese, some dried bay leaves and ground oregano. (∩_∩)

edit:

So, called the vet and he's moved their post-op to today instead of tomorrow, gonna have them looked at just to make sure.

Last edited:
It took my girls almost 2 or 3 days after their ops before they were eating their pellets/treats as enthusiastically as they had been before they'd had their ops!

As long as they're eating hay, drinking and of course pooing then I wouldn't be overly concerned, after all hay is the main part of their diet! Some fresh herbs are always good to have on hand, and I know my girls were happier eating their parsely & greens before they went back to their love of pellets post op.

Ok that's good. By the way, I know ours been asked and posted many times before, but I can't find it. anyone got a good list of fruit, veg and herbs that rabbits like?

I find my buns like the stronger smelling herbs like basil, mint and parsley when they don't feel well, or dandelions are even better. Celery is good too.

Hope the vet visit goes ok

Well, vet says they seem ok, gave me something to give them that'll help then get their nutrients since they're not eating their actual food yet and days if they're still not eating their mask Thursday night to ring back on Friday morning, otherwise will see them in a week for their last post-op.

Spring greens goes down very well usually at a time like this. They should be feeling much more like eating tomorrow :thumb:

Back