• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI stasis??

Jennao

New Kit
Hi,
I posted yesterday regarding my bunny Oscar who has been poorly with a middle ear infection. He is currently on penicillin injections and metacam twice a day and seems to have regained a bit of his balance today, however for the last 3 days I have had to force feed him because he hasn't been eating. This evening I noticed he had pooed but his poos were held together with a cleanish jelly? I googled this and read about gi stasis. He has since been eating hay by himself all evening and he is drinking but I am concerned. I wonder if this was just his gut getting moving again after he hadn,t really been eating for the last few days?

Any ideas should be appreciated.

Thanks

Did you take him back to the vets once he had stopped eating?

The jelly is a sign that he has had some kind of inflammation in his guts and it is most likely come out now because his guts have stated up again.

Hi,
I posted yesterday regarding my bunny Oscar who has been poorly with a middle ear infection. He is currently on penicillin injections and metacam twice a day and seems to have regained a bit of his balance today, however for the last 3 days I have had to force feed him because he hasn't been eating. This evening I noticed he had pooed but his poos were held together with a cleanish jelly? I googled this and read about gi stasis. He has since been eating hay by himself all evening and he is drinking but I am concerned. I wonder if this was just his gut getting moving again after he hadn,t really been eating for the last few days?

Thanks

Hello

It is essential that you get your Rabbit back to the Vet ASAP. The not eating and the 'jelly' in fecal matter may be due to the start of an adverse reaction to the Penicillin. I dont want to cause you additional anxiety, but Penicillin related gut problems can become extremely serious. So as previously mentioned, please contact your Vet without delay.

Good luck xx

Hi,

Thanks

It's very important a rabbit keeps eating and pooing. If he's not doing this, please consult your vet asap for help. Penicillin would not usually disturb the gut as it's quite well tolerated by injection. However, not eating in itself causes serious gut disturbances.

How is he doing now?

Back