• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Perspex / Plastic Hutch door covers

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone made perspex / plastic sheeting to cover the meshed bit of their hutch doors when it is bad weather?

My cousin has a new hutch which I am going to help her build up and I remember seeing some perspex cover things in some pictures a while ago.

Yes I have. I bought them from amazon, they're basically perspex shed windows, you can buy them in various sizes. I drilled small holes in each corner (carefully, with a really pointy drill bit to prevent splitting) and have nails on the outside of the door and I literally just hook the perspex over. You just need to make sure that it doesn't seal too well, there needs to be sufficient air flow to stop it from getting damp and musty on the inside.

I've got a perspex panel that slides over the meshed window in my shed. I bought a cheap photo frame from Wilkinsons which was just the right size and it slides in a couple of plastic runners.

Thanks ladies, good reasonably priced ideas :)

Santa, do you just have nails at the top corners and then leave them hanging at the bottom?

No I have nails at all four corners. The drill holes are about half a cm so there is plenty of wiggle room to hook them over - stops it from flapping around in the breeze so much.

I had Perspex panels made for the boarding hutch fronts. They were quite pricey but worth every penny :thumb:

For ventilation there's a row of holes drilled, and there's gaps around the top too (I had them made slightly smaller)

They are removable and are held in with twist turns (black in picture)

DAA8D445-2DCC-4A50-9BF2-6E463AE51861_zpswq3samsm.jpg

Back