• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor sneezy Erin

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I heard her sneeze a few times early last week but thought it might be the hay as it had a lot of seed heads on it, very dusty - makes me sneeze loads! She was okay when I was around her for a few days, no signs of discharge from her nose etc, her eye looked quite wet but that's not unusual.

On Sunday morning she was sneezing continuously for 10 minutes then okay, then sneezing... and after a discussion with the nurse (OOH) we decided as her appetite and demeanour were good that first thing Monday would be okay for her to be seen, but to take her in Sunday if she worsened.

Monday morning and thankfully the vet could find no signs of infection, wet round her nose and eye but they only really backed up the sneezing not the infection. Her chest was clear... so, so pleased to hear this. So, she had a penicillin injection and to go back later in the week in the case she hadn't improved or had worsened. There was a slim possibility that it was a foreign object up her nose but rabbits don't tend to suffer that as much as dogs and cats, so I was told ... but I said, "Knowing Erin..." I also thought it seemed a possibility given that whenever she sneezed her head turned markedly to the right

Anyhow, got home from work last night, desperate to check on her, poor love was sneezing so much she didn't get enough time in between to eat the plantain I'd given her. I went to comfort her and saw something stuck to her nose/sticking out of her nose, so gave it a tug - out came a 6cm piece of hay :shock: Well, it looked like a blade of grass as it was well hydrated having spent several days in her nostril. *gulp*. Thankfully now the possibility of a nasal endoscopy, which I'd convinced myself was inevitable, seems to be passed. :D:D

How the hell did she snort a 6cm piece of hay up her nose?????

Oh my goodness, I haven't heard of anything like that before!! You were so clever to pull that out ..

I have no idea how she could have snorted that in, but seems like you have 'one of those' rabbits :lol:

<Phew>

Oh my goodness, I haven't heard of anything like that before!! You were so clever to pull that out ..

I have no idea how she could have snorted that in, but seems like you have 'one of those' rabbits :lol:

<Phew>

Definitely. She had a dental abscess given that a piece of hay got stuck between her teeth, (presumably) stabbed her gums and got infected. She carried on eating and showed no signs of having trouble eating. It was found on routine check when FHB was going to vaccinate her. ... this is why I didn't have any trouble being convinced she would have something stuck up her nose as well :lol:

Definitely. She had a dental abscess given that a piece of hay got stuck between her teeth, (presumably) stabbed her gums and got infected. She carried on eating and showed no signs of having trouble eating. It was found on routine check when FHB was going to vaccinate her. ... this is why I didn't have any trouble being convinced she would have something stuck up her nose as well :lol:

Oh my :lol:

Perhaps you should write her memoirs, as if you don't, no one would believe all this had happened to her ...:D

Lewis had this happen to him. Apparently the Vets see a lot of cats with this kind of problem. The piece of hay in Lewis' case would have gone up into his nose from his throat! Glad your bunny is ok now.

Lewis had this happen to him. Apparently the Vets see a lot of cats with this kind of problem. The piece of hay in Lewis' case would have gone up into his nose from his throat! Glad your bunny is ok now.

That actually makes far more sense than snorting it up! I wonder if that's what Erin has managed to do to, then gradually sneezed it downwards.

I often wonder if this is why mabel sneezes she rubs her face in the hay, it reminded of that last article in current rabbiting on magazine story of a sneezy bun and turned out in end they had seed head stuck up nose

Oh dear :( Well that was a bit of a relief finding it was just that hay up there, I am sure. :)
When Mimzy first started showing signs of respiratory problems, he would sneeze so much I wondered how he would manage to draw breath. We called it his "machine gunner" sneeze because it was so rapid fire. It took years of tests and retests and imaging to eventually find he had some sort of malformation in his sinus cavity, but nothing they could risk doing anything about without causing more harm than good, so he carried on with his sneezing. More than once it was suggested he was snorking something up there, but nothing was ever found. Of course once he got tilt and recovered, nary a sneeze since except on rare occasions and certainly no gooey face like he used to have. Go figure.

I think I panic any time the remaining two sneeze now, especially with Pip as I'm pretty sure if she's going to be the "accident prone" one, there will be something like a two by four up there one of these days that will require a major operation to remove. :roll:
We always ask her if there are any bats in the cave when she sneezes. :lol:

Glad to hear Erin is doing better now. :) xxxx

Back