• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does this sound like a good plan for Rascal?

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
We lost our little Dizzi a week ago, leaving Rascal on his lonesome.

We brought them both indoors when Dizzi got ill and decided to keep Rascal indoors for the time being as we don't want him outside on his own.

He's currently camped out in the living room but as he's going to be here until at least Spring we thought we may do the following:

Set up the spare bedroom for him so that he can have the run of that and the landing (meshed baby gate at top of stairs). He can stay up there in the day and then when we get home from work we thought if the weather was mild enough he could have a run out in the garden for an hour or so then join us in the living room until bedtime when we'll take him back up to his bedroom. That way he has his own space and can get into a routine.

The bedroom and landing are carpeted which he is used to so can bomb up and down binkying. I've ordered him a bunny castle and OH was going to put some of the carpeted ramps from their outside run into the bedroom for him to play on. And maybe a window seat so he can watch the world to by.

He's been indoors before in this set up and seemed to like it .... but that was with Dizzi.

So, if, after all this he is showing any signs of being lonely and he's not adopted us as his companions then we'll get him a friend and they can both live outside (we'll adapt the run/hutch so it's completely new to both of them).

I just don't want to feel like I'm replacing Dizzi so soon!

Does this sound ok for the foreseeable?

Thanks

Jo x

Thank you .... I'm heartbroken.

The sadness just creeps up on me when I least expect it.

It's my birthday today and I've been having a lovely day so far but then I find myself in the loo at work in tears!

It's so hard to know what to do for the best for Rascal, I'm just constantly worrying about him.

Jo x

I know how you feel, 2 and a half weeks later and I am still like that. Rascal will come round in time, plenty of fuss and he will be right as rain with you soon. H x

I think what you are doing is a good plan of action, im am only a pm away again if you need to chat x

I think it sounds like Rascal is going to have a great little set up.

Only comments I would make, when you take him downstairs in the evenings make sure he still has somewhere that's just 'his' where he can hide and chill and be by himself if that's what he wants, you might find if he feels like he's being shoved into 'your' space he acts up or gets grumpy. If he has a base of his own in that area first he'll feel much more secure.

I can totally sympathise with you not wanting to replace Dizzi yet, I feel the same way about Meg. I want to get Hugh a new friend eventually, he's only 4 and I want him to have somebun to love (I just don't feel like I have enough experience in bunny speak to be enough for him for the rest of his life), but I'm going to be off work for a lot of this year and I just can't bring MYSELF to bond with a new bun yet as selfish as that is.

I think Rascal is a lucky bun, you've clearly put a lot of thought into this.

that sounds like a good plan to me :) i hope you're ok. the only thing i would suggest is providing some fleece or something in some areas, as mumu developed sore hocks from living on carpet.

I'm so sorry you lost Dizzi :( xxx
Could Rascal use the stairs by himself? It's just that, if you bring him down in the evenings, he may feel happier if he can go back up to his own space if he feels like it? Just a thought x

We have found similar with Smokie, just need to give her time and space. They pick up on us panicking when they are a little quiet so try not to get too worried if they are a little bit quieter. We have also given her a teddy (Brian) who sits under the table with her (her safe space out of the crate) and she grooms him and chats away to him. Breaking my heart to see her on her own, but she is starting to interact a tiny (minuscule) bit more with us.

Thanks everyone, some really good points to think about.

Still exploring all avenues, want to do what's best for Rascal .... maybe a new friend but not sure if it's too soon and I don't want to force another bunny onto him if he's not ready.

Really don't know what to do for the best at this stage.

Jo xx

Jane gave me some good words, Rascal will tell you what they need when it has all settled down a little. Message me if you want to talk, I am about a week on from you. I won't lie, it's still bloody hard

Back