• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Accidental Litters x2!

Newbie1

New Kit
Evening all, Long time lurker here but am after some advice, hence the post.

On New years eve my rabbits surprised me with a litter of babies! Both bunnies where suppose to be girls but obviously it then became clear that one was in fact a boy! I split them up immediately but knew that there was a chance they will have already mated again. Sure enough, bang on 4 weeks later another litter arrived.

The first litter of 6 are still with mum, they have a large hutch with 24/7 access to an indoor run so plenty of space. They are all drinking very well from a normal water bottle and are eating well - rabbit food and fresh veg (plus plenty of hay obviously).

The new litter (I think there are 5) are in a nest in the same hutch. All seems well at the moment but I am wondering if I should take the first litter away so that mum can concentrate on the newborns?

I have an indoor cage on standby but don't want to rush into taking them away if they are still OK with mum for the time being. Any thoughts/advice please?

I'd probably play it by ear for now, as they preferably need at least another 2 weeks with mum (they tend to be fully weaned at 6 weeks but the usually are meant to stay with mum till at least 8 weeks).

I take it she is doing okay and hasn't lost weight or body condition? I'd try to weigh her a couple of times a week to keep a close eye on her condition, as feeding two litters is tough. Is she feeding the newborns okay?

If her tummy can handle it, I'd feed unlimited rabbit food for now - what does she have? It may be worth introducing a breeder/junior pellet if she loses weight but you'd have to be careful as introducing new foods too quickly can harm the older babies, although they'd be partially protected by their mother's milk still. I'd get some alfalfa hay too, but introduce gradually.

I'd also introduce a few different snuggly hiding places, so hopefully the older babies will spend more time away from mum. It's good that they have the run, it's important she can get away from them if she wants to. Try to keep stress to a minimum - avoid handling the newborns and don't allow young children or dogs/cats near her or the litter.

I'd agree with all that advice ^

It might be worth beginning to introduce the first litter to the cage gradually now so they'll be more relaxed when it's time to move, so letting them play in it or if it's practical space wise you could connect it to the run so they can access it now and as they get older you can alternate which group gets run time by closing the hutch/cage.

The main worry would be them drinking all the milk, so if you have a look at the new litter (rub your hands in the dirty bedding before investigating) and check they have nice fat bellies. If they look like plump sausages they are doing ok.

Just wanted to say i hope all is going well. Nothing i can really add but didn't want to read and run :)

Back