• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay For Pets

juls65

Young Bun
Hi, has anyone had any Timothy & Rye from Hay For Pets lately, & if so what is the quality like? I ordered a bag before xmas but I had to bin it & they sent a replacement as it was awful, smelled musty & looked like really old hay. The replacement they sent wasn't great but bunny ate it, but it certainly wasn't green & sweet smelling like it says on their website. So I thought I'd ask before I order any more or maybe I should try from somewhere else. Thanks :)

Maybe it's not a very good quality batch because of all the rain and snow recently? I get big bags of hay from a farm near me which are usually lovely, but the last two bags haven't been very nice. I've never used Hay for Pets though so I don't know how nice their hay usually is.

Not ordered from them for a while due to fussy rabbits! But I can vouch for the 2014 crop from timothyhay.co.uk, just ordered 2 bags :)

I got a sample from them, and thought it was quite hard/crunchy .. what do you think?

The last 6 bags I have had (over maybe 2 months and all the 2014 crop) have been a mixture of stalky pieces and soft pieces, the current bags I have are really nice, very green although the bag I have for the outdoors is rather dusty now I'm near the bottom which is annoying but the buns are eating it so I won't complain about sneezing too much :lol:

I remember buying the samples from h4p years ago and ended up buying a big bag of each because I couldn't tell which one was preferred :lol: It was the timothy&rye but it got really stalky and sometimes yellow :( and then someone mentioned timothyhay.co.uk had found a cheaper courier, ordered a bag and have since spend hundreds of pounds on it :lol:

The last 6 bags I have had (over maybe 2 months and all the 2014 crop) have been a mixture of stalky pieces and soft pieces, the current bags I have are really nice, very green although the bag I have for the outdoors is rather dusty now I'm near the bottom which is annoying but the buns are eating it so I won't complain about sneezing too much :lol:

I remember buying the samples from h4p years ago and ended up buying a big bag of each because I couldn't tell which one was preferred :lol: It was the timothy&rye but it got really stalky and sometimes yellow :( and then someone mentioned timothyhay.co.uk had found a cheaper courier, ordered a bag and have since spend hundreds of pounds on it :lol:

Thank you for that. I was looking at the Oxbow hay as well, as they have a 'crunchiness' rating ... What we do for our buns, eh?

Back