• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PetPlan Insurance Dental Question

KMazzy

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone,

I had to take Ren to the vet last week as she'd not been eating as much hay as she should. She had a GA for dental investigation and ended up having some tooth burring done. Her last dental exam (routine at her vaccination appt) was May 2014.

I know PetPlan specifically mentions not covering teeth rasping/burring but has anyone claimed for the rest of the costs?

I paid £120 and of that the GA was £60ish I think and I guess the rest was the examination fee and maybe the actual rasping and then medication?

Is it worth claiming for this and has anyone done anything similar? I had a look back and I'm not really sure if anyone has done this except maybe HoneyBear?

Any advice is very welcome please. It's the first time either of my buns has needed anything other than vaccs/eye drops so it was all a bit traumatic! (I cried at the vet a lot.)

Also if anyone has any tips for encouraging her to eat more hay (I have tried MANY varieties) that would be fab. She's already in a huff about reduced pellets but it's a fine line as she went from 1.6kg in May 2014 to 1.3kg last week so I need to fatten her up a bit too (and weigh her more often).

Many many thanks,
Kat

I've always been told that they do cover dentals as long as their last dental check was within the last year! I double check this every time I talk to them :lol: so I flippin hope it's true!!!

They don't cover routine dental treatment (it's in the t&cs) but often make an exception for dental costs charged as part of treatment for another condition. I find that sometimes they'll pay out, sometimes they won't and sometimes they'll pay out for all except the actual burring charge, it depends on whether the GA was just for the dental or for other things as well, and whether it was a routine dental or as a result of an illness.

I always just claim anyway and assume they won't cover it, then if they do I get a nice surprise :) they're very good at paying out for my other claims so I can't complain.

I guess I'll give it a go. She's never had any dental work done before and everything was fine (as far as the vet could tell, which I think isn't that far) at her May14 check up.

Perhaps it depends how the vet reports on the treatment as to whether they pay out?

This is my first claim and so it'll be a lot of paperwork faffing. :/

I've made 2 claims for dentals under ga in the past year and both were paid. I guess my vet will have confirmed he saw both buns within previous 12 months and teeth were checked, which seems to be the only stipulation they make.

I pay the £50 excess and my vet claims direct which is why I don't no exactly what he writes. As I understand it, if something is wrong with bun and the cause is found to be something to do with teeth, and that with necessary dental treatment, bun will then recover, eat better etc, then they cover it. I've never in 11 years had any dental claims rejected.

I think it's fair enough that your bun needs to have had his teeth checked previously, or others could make fraudulent claims that hike everyones premiums up.

Last edited:
Back