• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Sore hocks!

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
I think I tempted fate yesterday by posting how well Molly was doing as this morning when giving her a health check I noticed that her left hock is very sore looking. It's not bleeding but it doesn't look good. She is not acting like it hurts her but I can't believe it doesn't.

In my 8 years of rabbit keeping I have never come across this before and I am totally clueless as to what to do for her. I'm guessing the vets come next, she has an appointment later in the week already for her penicillin injection. Molly is a house rabbit who lives cage free in her own room.

Help!

I think I tempted fate yesterday by posting how well Molly was doing as this morning when giving her a health check I noticed that her left hock is very sore looking. It's not bleeding but it doesn't look good. She is not acting like it hurts her but I can't believe it doesn't.

In my 8 years of rabbit keeping I have never come across this before and I am totally clueless as to what to do for her. I'm guessing the vets come next, she has an appointment later in the week already for her penicillin injection. Molly is a house rabbit who lives cage free in her own room.

Help!

Hello

Can you post a picture of the hock ? Sore hocks can occur as a secondary symptom of another problem relating to the Rabbit's mobility, so things like arthritis.

A Vet check is certainly needed as not only may the hock require treatment but the Vet also needs to identify and treat any underlying cause.

Carpet can make sore hocks worse, I dont know if Molly spends most of her time on carpet ?

Thanks Jane. I don't think I can hold her still and take a pic at the same time but I will get my oh to take one later when he gets home. She has laminate flooring with rugs in her room so yes she is in carpet most of the time when she is not on the sofa!

Thanks Jane. I don't think I can hold her still and take a pic at the same time but I will get my oh to take one later when he gets home. She has laminate flooring with rugs in her room so yes she is in carpet most of the time when she is not on the sofa!

Is the sore hock on the opposite side to the ear she has problems with ?

Managed to get Molly an appointment this evening rather than waiting till Thursday. I'm really worried.:(

Please don't worry. You're doing everything you can, and sore hocks is such a prevalent problem in rabbits.

There are various ways of dealing with it, depending on how it presents. I'm sure your vet will find the best way for you, and a cream if that seems appropriate.

Good luck at the vets tonight .. x

We are back from the vets. The vet wasn't unduly concerned as the hock isn't bleeding or ulcerated. He has given me some cream to apply sparingly and they will keep an eye on it at her weekly injection appointments. Seems I might have panicked a bit :oops: I was just so alarmed and upset by what I saw.

We are back from the vets. The vet wasn't unduly concerned as the hock isn't bleeding or ulcerated. He has given me some cream to apply sparingly and they will keep an eye on it at her weekly injection appointments. Seems I might have panicked a bit :oops: I was just so alarmed and upset by what I saw.

Glad to hear that it is a minor issue xx

Better safe than worrying about it. Hopefully the cream will clear it up quickly x

Back