• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible teeth problem?

helennnnnn

Wise Old Thumper
I don't really know what's going on here!

Hopscotch has a habit of pulling out threads from the carpet with his teeth (and making a mess for me to clean up, thanks!)

Yesterday I noticed he was doing it but not on his usual patch. I also noticed that where he was pulling the thread out of the carpet, the bare patch that was left was a pinky/reddish colour. So I immediately panicked and thought he must be bleeding from his mouth. I checked as well as I could, and could not see any blood or evidence of blood. Nothing on his fur, and he is white so you would think it would show up! Also when I moved him from that patch he was working on, he then started nibbling on a toilet roll - no sign of blood on that or anywhere else.

He also seems perfectly fine, running around and binkying, eating as usual. But I wonder whether I should try and get an appt at the vet anyway as obviously they will be able to look in his mouth more thoroughly than I can! I just don't know what else it could be if it's not coming from him :?

b3b3a3ead4d50c41bb804efc089b845e.jpg

Also the underneath of carpet has the pinky patches too

ab685815378b755b044399177a91664c.jpg

Last edited:
I remember when Clover was doing this once, it took some real force to get those fibres out, so I guess there is a possibility of hurting the mouth, if the feet are OK.

My first thought was that carpet doesn't really make good dental floss and maybe some fibres had cut into his gums. Then I saw the red patches and thought that it was too much blood from that, so - as Jane suggested - check his feet. Could be a torn nail or maybe a sore hock where he has worn the fur away scrabbling at the carpet. Norty bunny.

I didn't really think of toes/nails, as I didn't see him digging at the time - but he could have been when I wasn't watching! Will have a good check over tonight and see how he's looking!

I didn't really think of toes/nails, as I didn't see him digging at the time - but he could have been when I wasn't watching! Will have a good check over tonight and see how he's looking!

If it was a toe nail then they can bleed a lot but it usually stops quickly and if the Bunny cleans his/her foot up it can be easy to miss unless you are actually looking for it IYSWIM xx

I had to google it too :oops: :lol:

Will have a good look at him in a bit, maybe bribe with some food! If all looks okay then will just keep an eye on him :) thank you!

Back