• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blind, deaf and alone, what's the kindest?

Hi all

This is my first post, so not sure if I've chosen the right place to post.

Pabby is 9, completely blind and deaf. We lost his wife bunny a few months ago and due to his age and disabilities didn't try to find him a new partner. We were at the vets last week for something very minor and I got the impression the vet thought it really is time to let him go. He's never been ill, eats and grooms himself but it breaks my heart to watch him sit, all day long.

Now I'm not daft and I'm fully aware that he could potentially live for another 3 years but don't know what's best for his quality of life. Yes in theory I could try to find a new partner and this could give him a new lease of life, if his lack of activity is due to depression but this does make me nervous with his lack of sight and hearing.

Really hard decisions, please don't judge, really sad at the moment watching my little old man.

Hi all

Pabby is 9, completely blind and deaf. We lost his wife bunny a few months ago and due to his age and disabilities didn't try to find him a new partner. We were at the vets last week for something very minor and I got the impression the vet thought it really is time to let him go. He's never been ill, eats and grooms himself but it breaks my heart to watch him sit, all day long.

Now I'm not daft and I'm fully aware that he could potentially live for another 3 years but don't know what's best for his quality of life. Yes in theory I could try to find a new partner and this could give him a new lease of life, if his lack of activity is due to depression but this does make me nervous with his lack of sight and hearing.

Really hard decisions, please don't judge, really sad at the moment watching my little old man.

Is he indoors? Does he like to be cuddled? Could you be his companion if you prefer not to get another rabbit?

On the other hand, he could be introduced to a gentle female. You could contact a rescue and explain the situation. I would guess he's sitting around because he has lost his eyes and ears, poor wee soul x

A lot of disabled rabbits do seem to rely on their partners to feel safe etc., so that could explain the lack of activity. He might not be feeling confident enough when he can't see or hear. And probably misses his wife too :( I think in your situation I would try to find him an older, gentle lady to bond with. I definitely wouldn't PTS :wave:

This is such a tough decision and I feel for you. I suspect he is sitting around a lot because he is missing the safety and security a partner gave him due to his lack of hearing and sight. I agree that you could attempt to be his new 'friend', although realistically, you can't be with him 24/7 and that will still lead to lengthy periods where he is on his own. I guess it depends on whether you still want to keep rabbits once he eventually goes. If you think you do then I would definitely try to find him a companion. My Flora was bonded with Benji when she was 9 and she lived to be 10.5. She had severe mobility issues even when she was bonded and I do think it helped her to feel more secure having a new friend.

If you really don't want to have more bunnies then there are a few sanctuaries who take in elderly and disabled bunnies who may be able to offer him a place with other bunnies for the remainder of his life. I think his quality of life is more important than length of life and if you feel he's suffering due to having no company then (and this is just my opinion) you either need to find him a friend (either with you or with someone else) or I would consider PTS as the kindest option, however hard that may sound.

Nobody on RU will judge you on this - we've pretty much all been there and it never gets any easier. I think the main thing to bear in mind is HIS quality of life and nothing else.

Hi all

I am sorry that you lost one of your Rabbits and that Pabby is now not doing so well on his own. Does he live indoors with you and on average how long is he alone each day ?

I do not feel that I can say what you 'should' do as each Rabbit will be unique in how they cope with profound disability.To be able to give a fully informed opinion I would need to actually know the specific Rabbit concerned. Where for one Rabbit it might be the kindest thing to PTS for another it may be that finding a suitable Rabbit companion is an option. Bonding a blind/deaf Rabbit could be something that the Rabbit just could not cope with. But some may be OK about it.

I am sure that you will do what you feel to be in the best interests of Pabby, even if that is having to let him go. No-one should judge you, you are the only person in a position to decide what is best for your Rabbit.

Mr Snow was old, blind and deaf and spent most of his time sleeping in his hay tray, he did live indoor in a large cage so he knew where all his things were. I would put him out on the lawn to free range and he would have a little toddle around and nibble on the grass. He was like this for 2 years approx, when he developed head tilt I decided to call it a day and have him pts. I had tried to bond him with a female but it didn't work out so decided to keep him as an indoor bun, we had cuddle and grooming time everyday. He enjoyed his food and his supervised free range time, I think he was happy enough.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?395046-Blind-deaf-Mr-Snow-chilling-out

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?396310-Rosie-and-Snow-bonding-Update-Post-11-16-21

Last edited:
Hi, I don't know whereabouts you are based, but I did see recently while looking online that Rabbit Residence in Royston, Herts, offer the possibility of fostering to people with older single buns, who might not be in the position or wanting to take on a full time 2nd bun for their elderly rabbits, (hope I've explained this and got it right.) It was really interesting to see this. It was an opportunity for those who might not want to continue the circle of having a single bun, to find their elderly bun a companion. Depending on where you are and whether other rescues near you might offer this, it's a way to find your bun a companion for while he is about, without committing to being left with another single bun when circumstances change.

Even though he may be sad about losing his partner, he still takes care of himself so he is not giving up. You do not say what minor issue he had when he went to the vet or what the vet said to you that gave you the impression he should be PTS. Before making a decision, I would ask the vet to give you more facts.

What a dilemma for you.:?

Iwas in the same position as you afew years ago.I had an elderly newly single male bunny who was totally deaf and whos sight was pretty bad.I contacted a local rescue asking for an older,gentle female.Luckily a suitable one was found he was bonded with her very slowly at the rescue and they both came home and had 2 very happy years together.
This may not be an option for your bunny as you may feel that it might be too much for him and every bunny is very different.
Nobody will judge you for thinking carefully about your options.You obviously know him best and care very much for him.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies and kind words. He's an outside rabbit, not by my choice but because of our dogs. Although Pabby has always been easy to handle, since losing his sight he doesn't enjoy being picked up anymore, he looks like 'scared rabbit' mode but he's very comfortable being stroked. bunny momma, you asked about the vets. He's had little hair loss and scabbing under one eye which he's got eye drops for and if that doesn't work then a tear duct flush, nothing major really it was how she kept asking so many questions about his quality of life and she told me she can only give an opinion on the medical side, which I do understand.

I think to sum up all the responses, which are pretty much the same as I was feeling. If I don't try to find him a partner, then we'll never know. We're in the south (west Berks) so I would need to find a very understanding rescue, any recommendations?

Just to add that personally I would try him with a gentle female bun as well it may well revitalise his life!

Thanks for all the replies and kind words. He's an outside rabbit, not by my choice but because of our dogs. Although Pabby has always been easy to handle, since losing his sight he doesn't enjoy being picked up anymore, he looks like 'scared rabbit' mode but he's very comfortable being stroked. bunny momma, you asked about the vets. He's had little hair loss and scabbing under one eye which he's got eye drops for and if that doesn't work then a tear duct flush, nothing major really it was how she kept asking so many questions about his quality of life and she told me she can only give an opinion on the medical side, which I do understand.

I think to sum up all the responses, which are pretty much the same as I was feeling. If I don't try to find him a partner, then we'll never know. We're in the south (west Berks) so I would need to find a very understanding rescue, any recommendations?

If he's outside then I very definitely go with my original suggestion of a gentle female.

I would email rescues, explain the circumstance, and see what they suggest (or ring and leave a message).

You can find lists of rescues on the Rabbit Rehome site.

Good luck ... he's obviously a well loved and cared for bunny :love:

I agree that a little hair loss/scabbing (crusting?) under one eye is not a major issue. I had two brothers with the problem, my vet was able to give one a duct flush with just a local anestetic since he was such a tolerant bunny. The other one need to be under GA because it did not clear as easily.

You are a much better judge of your pets quality of life, so I support any decision you make regarding Sid. Last week I lost a female who was very special to me. From my 13+ years with her, and prior medical issues, I knew if she was feeling ill by the feel of her when I picked her up. She was my husband's bunny, but she bonded with me too because I gave her a lot of care over her years. I never had a bunny who kissed me as much as Black Velvet. When she felt good I got a ton of kisses and had the cleanest and wettest arm or shirt. When she felt ill, she would give me very few or no kisses. A month before she died, she kissed my hand over and over after the vet did his exam. I think she was showing him that she wanted to stay with me a little longer and he was supportive of my desire to continue fighting with her.

Back