• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bathing A Bunny with Coccidosis - What Bunny Shampoo to use?

Jinny

Young Bun
Littleblack needs to be washed, or at least his underside does. He has Coccidosis, and I've just used warm water to wash him off before, when he has soiled himself, but since Thursday's near death experience, his motions are very strong in odour, & soft but firming up, & as there is some residue in his tail, that could be carrying the parasite, I was wondering if there a special bunny shampoo or something I can use to get rid of the pasasite, & the odour. While he's clean looking now, the smell of the soft droppings is clinging to his coat, so I don't think warm water is sufficient.

I saw in pets at home yesterday, a small animal shampoo, but I don't know if it would help with washing away the parasite, or if it is bunny safe, in spite of the photo on the bottle.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. :)

Personally I would just use warm water and only get the absolutely essential parts of him wet. Given how frail he now is he is at high risk of hypothermia, even if housed indoors. So whilst cleaning him up is obviously necessary it needs to be done with extreme caution with such a debilitated Rabbit. The smell may actually be coming from within LB as much as it is coming from what he is passing, so even with a strong smelling shampoo the smell may well linger.

Littleblack needs to be washed, or at least his underside does. He has Coccidosis, and I've just used warm water to wash him off before, when he has soiled himself, but since Thursday's near death experience, his motions are very strong in odour, & soft but firming up, & as there is some residue in his tail, that could be carrying the parasite, I was wondering if there a special bunny shampoo or something I can use to get rid of the pasasite, & the odour. While he's clean looking now, the smell of the soft droppings is clinging to his coat, so I don't think warm water is sufficient.

I saw in pets at home yesterday, a small animal shampoo, but I don't know if it would help with washing away the parasite, or if it is bunny safe, in spite of the photo on the bottle.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. :)

Just use a bowl with about an inch of warm water. Get to the affected parts only and dry him very well.

Back