• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OH had to drag me out of P@H

Den

Mama Doe
I only went in as a last resort in my hunt for the basket Will likes to sit in. Stupidly I couldn't help looking at the rabbits in the adoption bit. Oh my an adorable pair of wildie looking rabbits called Roger and Dodger. They were so sweet and flopped asleep until OH knelt down to talk to them. They were so sweet and playful with each other and trying to Binky in their small enclosure. I wanted to bring them home.

The adoption bit is right next to the cute young buns for sale. There was a man and woman arguing about what sex rabbits to get. The woman had obviously done some research as she wanted a male and female and would have them neutered. The man clearly didn't want to pay for neutering as I heard him saying even if neutered a male and female would probably fight if put in the same room and any combination would probably fight so they may as well get any two they liked the look of and have them in separate cages😈

I had steam coming out of my ears at this point in the eavesdropping and when the man went off to another part of the shop I went over to the woman and politely said "Excuse me I couldn't help overhearing ...." and went on to tell her about Will and Nancy and suggested she get an already neutered, bonded pair from a rescue. She wasn't off with me at all but said she wanted young rabbits. I told her rescues often had young in and even told her the name of the rescue I got mine from had young in from an accidental litter and she was really interested. OH had come over by this point and joined in the conversation but then her stupid partner came back, she started telling him about rescue rabbits and he was really quite rude, saying he wasn't getting rabbits from a rescue as he would know nothing about their background.

It was at this point OH thought it best we left as I started on about backyard breeders and at least rescue rabbits would have had a health check.

I couldn't find Will's basket in there so came out feeling upset over the rabbits and wound up over the ignorant man.

Well done for trying. Maybe you have made the woman think a wee bit and she goes away and researches rescue rabbits. You couldn't have done any more.

I won't go into PAH and certainly won't spend any money there. Part of me thinks that I am chickening out and potentially missing out on offering advice but I cannot bear to see the bunnies in there.

Good on you for trying :) There are simply some folks you can't turn, they have blinders on. But I'm hoping the lady will give your advice some serious thought.
I understand the wind up...happens to me every time I am in a situation like this. Luckily our large pet store chain no longer sells but does hold an adoption event every month or so. I try to avoid going in there then because I will hurt my own feelings seeing some precious creature that I can't bring home. But I also have a hard time speaking to people about these matters, even though I shouldn't, I simply have crummy people skills so I pick my battles.
I think you were very brave to voice your opinion and I hope it is taken to heart. :)

Back