• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ive had to bring the rabbits in

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
My two boys live together in an insulated shed with mesh at the window.

Since Twinkle passed away they've been ok with each other but they don't snuggle like they did when she was here and they now sleep in the main shed area, they don't go into the little open hutch full of straw.

This morning it was -1 degrees and Ozzie was hunched and wouldn't eat. Stan ate a bit but usually they fall onto the pellets with gusto.

I brought Ozzie in and tried to feed him inside. Then we did the infacol and pain relief, the tummy rubbing the bit of a chase round to get things going. All the usual stuff. I also managed to get about 6ml of critical care down him

He hasn't done this for a long time and used to get him eating within the hour. Today it took till lunchtime. He was fine just not eating.

I brought Stan in and set up the indoor cage and that was when they both started eating properly. I think they are cold in the shed. The cage is open but as yet they haven't ventured out because I have put it in the kitchen instead of the lounge this time which is the room they are used to.

I am wondering if I should just keep them in till spring or I also wonder if there is anything else I can do in the shed for them as they are happier outside.

I know its not an ideal situation to bring them in and then put them out hence why I am pondering my options

I think it's fine to keep them in, personally, if it's something you can work around. I am actually going to have a very hard time having my bunnies outdoors for the first time when we move. I don't like the idea of not being able to see what they're about all day. :(

Of course winters here are not conducive to outdoor pets of any kind (it grieves me to even hear dog yards howling at night in the -40 F we've had lately, although I know these dogs are bred for the cold) but in the warmer weather I have had at least Mimzy out and enjoying the sunshine. (Pip and Fiver were clearly terrified on their few forays so I didn't encourage the outer world in their cases.) When we found him he was wandering about my OH's place of business and happily so. I do think he misses it sometimes but in recent years since his head tilt, plus his creaky old bones, sensory overload is a real possibility. :(

Bunnies are funny things, I know they like routine and if their needs change it's hard to know what's for the best. :) I'm sure you'll be able to come up with something that will make everyone happy. :)
I hope Ozzie and Stan will now be feeling better and eating well. ((((((Healing vibes))))))) xxxx

Back