• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Netherland Dwarf and cats

DomaNikki

Mama Doe
I just wondered if anyone with this combination of furbabies has ever experienced your cat trying to stalk your ND?

I have a new addition called Napoleon (ill have to upload photos) and he is still only 10 weeks so not fully grown but being such a small boy my cat Gizmo really thinks he is something he can try and attack! So now Gizmo is banned from my bedroom and I just wondered if this might change when napoleon is fully grown at all?

Gizmo doesn't do this to any of the others and I think it's due to their size. I just want to make sure it will stop when Napoleon isn't so small? Or will I have to keep them separate forever?

I just wondered if anyone with this combination of furbabies has ever experienced your cat trying to stalk your ND?

I have a new addition called Napoleon (ill have to upload photos) and he is still only 10 weeks so not fully grown but being such a small boy my cat Gizmo really thinks he is something he can try and attack! So now Gizmo is banned from my bedroom and I just wondered if this might change when napoleon is fully grown at all?

Gizmo doesn't do this to any of the others and I think it's due to their size. I just want to make sure it will stop when Napoleon isn't so small? Or will I have to keep them separate forever?

Cats are natural hunters. I know some people have cats with rabbits but I would be weary of having a ND near a cat as they are very small and a cat could easily harm one.

Personally I would never leave a Cat and a Rabbit together unsupervised. Same applies with a Rabbit and a Dog. It's just not worth the risk.

Thanks for your replies, I definitely will not and have not left them unsupervised, I just can't risk it. I always lock my bedroom door at night and when I am not at home as a precaution.

Usually Gizmo is really scared of the other rabbits (he is a scaredy cat anyway and has a few PTS issues too) their breeds are Lionhead, Rex and harlequin/lop mixes so he always runs from them as soon as they try to go near him. But it's entirely different with Napoleon and I think it's all due to his size.

If anyone else has experienced this please give me tips if there is anymore I can do :D

My cats didn't stalk my bridge ND, Dee, but Dee was the sort who would lunge at them if they stepped out of line :lol: they soon realised she was not to be messed with! Although they were never alone together, obviously.

Hopefully it will stop when Napoleon gets a little bigger. Maybe he might be able to stand up to himself a little bit more as well, which in turn could deter Gizmo. I'd definitely keep them apart for the time being!

My cats didn't stalk my bridge ND, Dee, but Dee was the sort who would lunge at them if they stepped out of line :lol: they soon realised she was not to be messed with! Although they were never alone together, obviously.

Hopefully it will stop when Napoleon gets a little bigger. Maybe he might be able to stand up to himself a little bit more as well, which in turn could deter Gizmo. I'd definitely keep them apart for the time being!

Thank you!! :thumb:

Urm and I know I'm going to get slated for this so really shouldn't post :oops: but I will as it can work :)

I have Rosie Rabbit who is free range 24/7 and two cats who are free to roam 24/7 and they get on just fine :thumb:

Cleo my older cat she is 9 will avoid walking too close to Rosie and much prefers to sofa walk them jump into the kitchen she never has reason to come into contact with Rosie :)

Jessy 3 ish and Rosie are best of friends they will sit by each other begging for treats, often watch them nose to nose saying Hi :love: Rosie asks for kisses but Jessy just doesn't get bunny speak, Jessy will do the I surrender cat and Rosie doesn't get it, she chases him and vice versa but his claws are always sheathed and her teeth are kept to herself :D

I have no choice to leave them unsupervised as Rosie will not stay in the pen if I shut the door she will just chew the bars and rattle the panels, she can open the door anyway so I gave up shutting her in a long time ago :shock:

Ive got 6 cats and have never had an issue with any of them. Until we got number 6, our kitten. He is ok but thinks they are something to dart backwards and forwards at, he has a lot of kitten manners to learn still.

My other 5 just ignore the rabbits.

Previous rabbits and cats that we have had have always been fine too. My thoughts are that well supervised introductions makes them get on better. Keeping them apart makes the cat curious.

My kitten who doesn't go out yet has spent the day with my two rabbits inside so he will learn his kitten/rabbit manners now and will know the rabbits are in charge

Back