• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding + litter tray = ignoring each other

anaqi

Warren Scout
Hi!

I started doing my first bonding on Saturday. I'm keeping Edward and Rosie together in a pen in my unheated conservatory. It's been going great, they were grooming each other within 10 minutes of meeting and I've had no problems at all.

They have settled down now and are completely relaxed with each other but they seem to have an issue with the litter tray. Every time I put a litter tray in the pen they ignore each other. They don't cuddle, they don't groom each other, they just sit at opposite ends of the pen, minding their own business. If I take the tray out they go back to being loved up bunnies.

This is my first bonding so I don't know if this is a normal thing or not. They haven't been possessive over the litter tray, in fact they have been going to the toilet next to it, rather than in it *rolls eyes* There is no guarding or aggression, they just ignore each other when it's inside the pen and cuddle up when it's not.

Is this common or is it just a weird coincidence? Is there a way to get them to like each other *and* live with a litter tray?

Hiya... I have never binded my bunnies, I haven't been brave enough!!

They will eventually use the litter tray but initially they'll poo anywhere..

As for their feelings towards each other and the litter tray, no idea, can't help but I am sure someone will advise. bunnies are just so complex

Good luck xxx

Have you tried placing some dirty litter into the tray so that it smells 'right'? I'd try placing some of each of their smelly litter into it and see if it makes a difference.

Back