• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gunky eye and teeth x

India

Young Bun
Hello x a friend of a friend ...... Etc has a rabbit who has asked if I will take it x went to see the love today . One eye is very sore , crusty fur , no discharge was present but could hardly open eye . Inside paws crusty . She said had been to a PDSA vet . Apparently vet said tooth was too near eye . Anyway I said I will take him but wondered what to expect at vets x I should add she said he doesn't eat hay or grass although had loads of hay . Weight seemed fine . Looked sad xx thank you x

Poor bunny. :( Unfortunately a lot of us have been there and there's not a lot you can do! Teeth problems are very common in rabbits. In some cases a dental (having sharp points burred off by a vet, under anesthetic) can help, but if it's a tooth root then besides removing the tooth (very much doubt a PDSA vet would do that, and it's not usually an option anyway) really all that can be done is to manage with pain relief. If he's been scratching at his face, due to the pain from his tooth, he might have scratched his eye and given himself an ulcer so the vet should take a look at that.

Hay and grass are vital for bunnies. They are what keep the teeth worn down so sharp spurs don't form. There are a large variety of 'treat' hays that are available from websites such as 'The Hay Experts' which can tempt fussy buns, but if your friend can't afford veterinary care I shouldn't think that'd be an option.

I just reread your post! Sorry, my eyes were closed the first time, after a long hard day! Now I realise you're taking bunny on. Good for you!!! :D:D:D It sounds like he could use some love and attention. Definitely get him checked over by a vet (where abouts are you, maybe someone on here can recommend a bunny savvy one?) and have them double check he is a boy too.

If you are interested I recommend Readigrass and oat, wheat and barley hay for fussy rabbits. What are his poos like? Probably squishy with his tooth issues? If so be sure to check his bottom every day and clean him if necessary. Flies can lay their eggs on a soiled bunny and that is bad news!

Make sure the vet gives you metacam. It's a painkiller for bunnies, and luckily they find it delicious so there shouldn't be any problems getting him to take it!

Has bunny been living outside or is he a house rabbit? If he's been indoors he'll need to stay that way until late spring, as he won't have his winter coat. Being social animals it's never fair to keep a single bun alone outside anyway. If you'd like him out there long term consider adopting him a wife, when his health issues are under control, and after he's been neutered of course.

Last edited:
Thank you xx my vet is fantastic so no concern there xx his poos seemed ok x had a look in the hutch and his bottom was clean . Had a bowl of cauliflower too !! Will collect him this weekend and take to my vet for a thorough check up xx she said PDSA x rayed him but was funny about me calling them x

Back