• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worming ... lapizole

beccimarie

Mama Doe
I went to the vets last weekend for the buns vaccine everything is good thank goodness! Now she said about worming I used to do Casper and poppy the panacur but this vet recommended lapizole its also a longer course if you want to prevent EC 28 days, 4 times a year, does this sound right to you guys? IV given 5 days so far .... they hate it! Dreading the next 23 days!!!

I went to the vets last weekend for the buns vaccine everything is good thank goodness! Now she said about worming I used to do Casper and poppy the panacur but this vet recommended lapizole its also a longer course if you want to prevent EC 28 days, 4 times a year, does this sound right to you guys? IV given 5 days so far .... they hate it! Dreading the next 23 days!!!

Lapizole is just another brand name for Fenbendazole, so the same as Panacur. There is much debate about routine treatment for the control of EC. Some Vets do not recommend it at all, some say a one off 28 day course and then no further treatment unless clinical symptoms present (which is what I do). Other Vets say treat 3-4 times a year with just a nine day course and it seems that your Vet feels that 4 times a year with a 28 day course is necessary. I think you will be hard pushed to find anyone, Vet or not, who can give you a definitive answer to your question as it seems even the experts cant agree !!

Yes this is what I thought I just don't want to over do it however their bellys have been fine which was my main concern about a long dose! Never given such a long course! But I'll do anything to keep EC away however I know they can still get it :(

I would theorise that a clean at the end of the 28 days is quite an important thing that rarely seems to get mentioned. Otherwise they can reinfect themselves from spores shed in their urine before they were treated.

I don't think I'd go for 4x28 day courses. That's 4 months out of 12 on pancur, which seems a bit OTT for animals that don't get out and about to pick up bugs from other animals/places. Once a year maybe or if you introduce a new rabbit.

I would theorise that a clean at the end of the 28 days is quite an important thing that rarely seems to get mentioned. Otherwise they can reinfect themselves from spores shed in their urine before they were treated.

I don't think I'd go for 4x28 day courses. That's 4 months out of 12 on pancur, which seems a bit OTT for animals that don't get out and about to pick up bugs from other animals/places. Once a year maybe or if you introduce a new rabbit.

I would agree with Tamsin - once a year maximum unless you see any clinical signs and symptoms of EC. I couldn't possibly force my rabbits to take four months a year :shock:

Back