• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free Animal Behaviour & Welfare Online Course

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
Edinburgh Uni are re-running their free online Animal Behaviour & Welfare course: https://www.coursera.org/course/animal starting 9th Feb (sign up ready now).

I'd really recommend it. Although it's not rabbit specific they are mentioned and a lot of the information can be applied to many different animals - for example how behaviour is studied and enrichment etc.

It's also got really interesting look into farmed animals, and looks at housing welfare for them if you are interested.

There is also bits on welfare within rescues.

If lots of people sign up I though it might be good to have some rabbit related discussion about it here too :)

The format is lots of video 'lectures' where they have clips of animals and settings and explain things really well so you don't need to read a lot and then you can ask questions too.

I got the email about this and have been debating ever since whether to join it or not as I wasn't sure how these things work. Like is there a set time of day it has to be done, and whether or not it would work on ipad as my laptop is temperamental :oops:

Aww.. I have been seriously thinking of signing up to this !

But, I go abroad to visit my mum for a month, in the last week of the course.. so will have lots to sort ( house and animal carers, etc )

I'm a bit wary of signing up, then getting bogged down with sorting out the above, during the last 2 weeks of the course.
What to do :roll:

I got the email about this and have been debating ever since whether to join it or not as I wasn't sure how these things work. Like is there a set time of day it has to be done, and whether or not it would work on ipad as my laptop is temperamental :oops:

At the end of each week there is a live Q&A session you can join if you want, but you can listen to it later on if you can't make it. Other than that you can access it when you like and there is no set times to view.

It should work on an ipad, it's a website with video files you can play, but there are a couple of different formats and ipads are popular so I expect it would work fine. You can download things to view later too if you don't have an internet connection where you want to read/watch.

Aww.. I have been seriously thinking of signing up to this !

But, I go abroad to visit my mum for a month, in the last week of the course.. so will have lots to sort ( house and animal carers, etc )

I'm a bit wary of signing up, then getting bogged down with sorting out the above, during the last 2 weeks of the course.
What to do :roll:

Unless you want the paid certificate you don't have to finish on time, you can skip a week and read the info later. There is no penalty if you drop out so I'd say give it a go :)

I'm only guessing but I think it would. All my certificates, no matter how humble (I have a basic typewriting qualification from the dark ages, and did odd first aid courses when I could) have been useful - they show that you are interested in improving your knowledge and skills as you go along.

I have the certificate and it does count as a proper qualification yes because they've verified you did the work :)

There's videos to watch and then you do web tests to check you've learned the stuff. For the certificate you need to type a sentence (to check your typing style) and take a photo of yourself to prove it was you, and you do that at the end of each web test. It's quite an introductory level so very interesting and more learning interesting theory without anything too technical (my Mum's become very keen and has done lots of MOOCs now and some of them require essays and things but this one doesn't).

At the end of each week there is a live Q&A session you can join if you want, but you can listen to it later on if you can't make it. Other than that you can access it when you like and there is no set times to view.

It should work on an ipad, it's a website with video files you can play, but there are a couple of different formats and ipads are popular so I expect it would work fine. You can download things to view later too if you don't have an internet connection where you want to read/watch.

Thank you for the info Tamsin, I will sign up now :D could be quite good having quite a few of us doing it at the same time!

By the way I bought your book last September for my daughters birthday, she loves it and is often saying 'I learnt that in Tamsins book!'

Thank you for the info Tamsin, I will sign up now :D could be quite good having quite a few of us doing it at the same time!

By the way I bought your book last September for my daughters birthday, she loves it and is often saying 'I learnt that in Tamsins book!'

Awww, that's lovely, I'm glad she's enjoyed reading it :D

Starts today :D Last week I remembered it was this week it started but then forgot this morning until the email arrived :oops:

Back