• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E.cuniculi

I came home to find my bunny with head tilt, loss of balance and was flipping over. His eyes were also darting horizontally.

We took him to the vets, where he then became incontinent, who told us he had E.cuniculi and advised to have him put to sleep.

After reading so many stories about e.cuniculi I am now debating weather it was the right decision to put him to sleep without trying any treatment.

Last edited:
I came home to find my bunny with head tilt, loss of balance and was flipping over. His eyes were also darting horizontally.

We took him to the vets, where he then became incontinent, who told us he had E.cuniculi and advised to have him put to sleep.

After reading so many stories about e.cuniculi I am now debating weather it was the right decision to put him to sleep without trying any treatment.

Hello, I am so sorry to hear about your Rabbit :cry: Whilst some cases of EC can respond to treatment some cases present in such an acute and severe way that the only humane option is to PTS. Please dont think you have done the wrong thing, your Rabbit sounded to be very sick and he was clearly in a great deal of distress. He may not have been able to cope with all the intensive 'hands on' care such a sick Rabbit would need, maybe for several weeks on end. Then there would be no guarantee of a good outcome.

I have nursed some Rabbits through EC, but one I had to have PTS as he was in such a distressed state and all attempts to help him just made him worse. Sometiimes loving a Rabbit means we have to let them go :cry:

If you have any other Rabbits I would advise you to treat all of them with a 28 day course of Fenbendazole (Panacur or Lapizole) as a precaution. I'd also steam clean the environment in which your EC effected Rabbit lived. EC is transmitted via spores shed in an infected Rabbit's urine. The spores can remain viable outside of the host for some time so it is important to destroy them by the use of an effective cleaning method.

This is an informative article about EC. It may be useful to take a look at it when you feel up to doing so

http://www.gwexotics.com/wccms-resources/a/5/0/e/77554b90-a660-11e0-a685-0050568626ea.pdf

Last edited:
I'm very sorry to hear what you went through with your bunny. :(

It is a very aggressive and nasty thing EC...I think you did do the best thing for your rabbit, Jane said it all above it can be very hard and stressful for the rabbit to be put through treatment and it sounds like your little bunny was quite far gone. I think you can rest knowing that you didn't let your bun suffer any more than he had to.

Binky free little bun
xx

What Jane said.

Don't feel guilty - in your situation, even with my years-of-rabbit-keeping-experience, I would've done the same thing. Some bunnies can go on to have fulfilling lives with EC, but if there is significant distress, you make whatever decision you need to at the time xx

I had the same thing happen to me with a bun of mine and I made the decision to pts too. Sometimes it is the kindest option. Please don't blame yourself xxx.

Hi BramblesBunny, so sorry you had to say good bye to your friend, sometimes we have to make difficult decisions but must take comfort in the fact that we have done our best. E Cuniculi can be nasty and while some buns can recover sometimes the damage is too quick and too severe, I treated my boy Lucky and nursed him through a bout of EC which was no where near as severe as the symptoms your Bun had, unfortunately two weeks after treatment the EC came back and Lucky went from a happy bouncing bun to completely paralyzed in 48 hours so we had to help him to the bridge(You can read his story in Rainbow Bridge on here).

Sometimes the best thing we can do is to let them go, my heart goes out to you at this sad time.

Sending healing vibes your way.

Binky free at the bridge Little Bunny.

awww bless, it must have been a hard decision, don't blame yourself, some bunnies recover better than others from.EC.

Hugs
Fee x

I'm so sorry that you have lost your bunny. :cry:

Please don't be hard on yourself, it sounds like your bunny was very poorly and in a lot of distress. In your position, I think I would have come to the same decision. Allowing our furry friends to pass peacefully is our final act of love.

Sending a hug. xx

i was in a similar situation when i first had bunnies and one of mine started fitting uncontrollably. my vet thought it was EC advised PTS as she was fitting every time he touched her so he couldn't treat her effectively. i sometimes wonder whether i could have saved her if i had a more rabbit savvy vet but i 100% knew at the time that her best option was to be out out of her misery. Please don't blame yourself or think that you didn't do what was best for your bunny, you absolutely did and he is at peace now. I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye xxx

That's awful for you. I'd like to think I'd've done the same as you: the right thing. Sometimes things just come on so quickly it's the humanest thing to do :(

I'm so sorry :cry: we love our pets so much I think sometimes whatever we do we would analyse our decisions and wonder if we made the right choice, but going for PTS is a humane thing to do and he won't have suffered.

There is a section of the forum called Rainbow Bridge, maybe you would like to post a tribute there?

Binky free at the bridge little one xx

Been looking at this thread all day not sure what to say, as nothing will make it better. But if you're going to listen to anyone, listen to Jack's-Jane, she knows what she's talking about.

You made the best most selfless decision you could make with the information you had and your bunny was lucky to have you.
Sleep sweet little bun x

Having to make the decision to pts is heartbreaking. Having done it myself recently I know that you guilt trip yourself and think what if and maybe ifs. The vet obviously felt bunny was suffering too much or would not have suggested the option. You did the right thing x

Back