• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best pet insurance?

mabels mum

Warren Scout
Please can anyone recommend who to get my rabbits insured with? Which cover to you have and why did you choose the one you did?

Thanks.

Petplan. They insure for life so if your bunny has a recurring problem (mine have stasis. A lot.) they still pay up without quibble. Not all insurance places do that.

I'm with pets at home insurance. They've been very good, paid for hospitalisation and emergency dental work too.

I would recommend Pets @ Home insurance. I have 6 rabbits insured with Pet Plan and 10 with Pets @ Home. I've had no problem with the service/pay outs from either until recently when Pet Plan took 10 weeks (five times as long as the maximum they state!) to pay out when they had mistakenly taken off the excess from a claim when it was the same condition I'd claimed for earlier in the year. They were impossible to deal with - each phone call was in a queue for 6+ minutes, it was like talking to a brick wall, they kept assuring me it would be dealt with by X date then I'd ring again when we exceeded that date, never an apology just more of the "it's being dealt with". It was very stressful. I'd also not take out policies with Pet Plan given that the excesses on my 7+ year old rabbits are now so high. The premium is c£180 with £100 excess plus 20% of the bill. I'm seriously questioning whether it's worth bothering. Pets at Home in comparison for my 7 year old is £90 premium, £75 excess plus 10%. The only downside comparing is that they only cover to £1,500 compared to Pet Plan's £2,000 but given I'd be paying 20% of the bill anyway (PP) it would take a huge bill pass the £1,500 mark and be worth the extra cover.

Back